This took all morning and lots of glue....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

This started when I tried to make a sled for the table saw to cut lots of parallel slots in a blank. Then I tried it out on a blank to see if it worked. When it did, I then tried making the pieces to fill in the slots. That all done, I decided to turn it and see what it would look like if it did not explode.
Well, after it made it through drilling, turning and finishing I had an interesting pen and a lot of ideas on how it could be made better and different. One of the things I really enjoy about turning pens is the endless ideas you can come up with. Tomorrow, when and if I can get this CA off my hands and fingers, I'm gonna try a little different idea.
See what you think..............

Attachments

• stripey.jpg
    stripey.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 473
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Very nice looking pen. It is great when an Idea works, especially when it is you design. What is the material, some of that antler?

Nick

Your pen looks great!!

Old Wrangler and anyone else who could be interested. Rockler makes a T/S jig for cutting strips safely and consistent in size. It is about $20 and works fine.

OldWrangler

This took all morning........

The blanks were a piece of apple and a piece of black cherry. Actually practice scraps. Inserts are a garnet red Inlace Acrylester and alternative ivory like white corian.

I'll try to get a picture of the sled and post it tomorrow. Nothing real fancy but it works.

Finish is 6 coats CA/BLO sanded to 12,000 mm and kit is round top Euro.

Last edited:

OldWrangler

Took all morning

Couple of answers for some of you...........

Alex asked about the number of cuts....2 blanks with 20 cuts each

Grant wanted to see the sled.......

Sled used to be a 45 degree cutter for making Celtic Knots but now cuts slots kinda like making box joints but with only a single blade to the saw kerf width. I did 2 blanks with 21 slots each and a long one with 42 slots this morning in about 40 minutes. Much faster and easier.

Make first cut and then move slot over guide bar (yellow piece), cut next slot, move to bar and cut the next. Only critical setting is blade height. These completed blanks are tulipwood/yellowheart, black cherry/bloodwood and cocobolo/holly....now I gotta think how to use them.

..........table sled ...............cutting slots ................finished blanks

Attachments

• IMG_1592[1].jpg
    IMG_1592[1].jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1596[1].jpg
    IMG_1596[1].jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1602[1].jpg
    IMG_1602[1].jpg
    81 KB · Views: 122

OldWrangler

Took all morning

Here is another experimental pen to see what can be done with the segmented blanks I made this morning. It is not exactly right but gives me another idea to try later. Let me know if you like it or if it needs to be changed. Let's be honest. The kit is silver Cigar. Wood is dyed green Maple Burl and segments are Holly in Cocobolo.

Attachments

• gr. maple burl.jpg
    gr. maple burl.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 99

OldWrangler

Thanks for all your comments and compliments. Both are appreciated. Here is one more of the segmented ones from today. Pictures are of the same pen...the sides are different. Let me know what you think............

Attachments

• IMG_1615[1].jpg
    IMG_1615[1].jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1616[1].jpg
    IMG_1616[1].jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom