This one was fun. "HOLY BOWL"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

I had a lot of fun with this bowl, it is "White Wattle" and as you can see is very much full of worm holes. I thought that I would cover each hole with CA but that didn't achieve what I was looking to do so decided to clean out some of the holes for a bit of impact. Once I started it looked awful so I had to finish up cleaning out the whole lot.:frown:
Got it finished today and sprayed with "Krylon" clear varnish.
It measures 8 x 3 1/4.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

OOPS - forgot the pics.

Sorry People, forgot the pics. DUHH!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 260
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 219

alamocdc

Beautiful! I did one in wormy Chestnut some years ago. The thing about pieces like this is the decision that has to be made. The artsy guy says leave the holes alone and turn it as it is. Then there is the guy who wants to fill every void. These pieces can look good too. I like the choice you made!

robutacion

Great job Bob...Q

And yes, we sometimes have to make the decision of filling or not filling and as you and most here know that I have absolutely no problems in letting the flaws in wood become the main feature of the piece, I also tend to use more contrasting filler than matching fillers on these type pieces.

In this case, I reckon the piece would look also very interesting if the worm holes were filled with epoxy and Turquoise, why...??? most worm cravings contain not only the entry/exit holes but also the "channels" that are cut through and exposed while turning to, size/shape, those channels have normally perfect round edges, looking like some hand carving has been added to the piece, a contrasting filler does normally created a pleasant pattern within the wood surface surrounding it, making it look very good however, one can never be sure until the job is done as is not the first time, nor will it be the last that, I didn't like to final result on something that I done so, sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't...!

Keep up the good work, mate...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom