This isn't working out....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marc Phillips

Marc Phillips

I waited a while for these kits to come in... thought the guys at my job who work on the .50 cal machine guns would get a kick out of these...

... but they just don't look right.

I gotta find a different shape for the bullet part I guess... these shapes just don't look correct.

.... and I didn't know the cartridge was going to be in such lousy shape either... pretty banged up, and I need to find something else to shine them - the Beall doesn't work very well.

Oh well... can't just post the successes....

Attachments

• 2fiftyCalPens.JPG
    2fiftyCalPens.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 353
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

I have not done any of the 50's , but I have done some 30.06 and I use the one step plastic polish it is green like chrome polish and has an abrasive. It makes the brass shine like a yellow mirror. I like the one on the right the best.

les-smith

That second picture looks pretty good. I would suggest, for a bullet pen that size, to try some wood that doesn't show much grain. It may look better. Sometimes I think the grain gives an optical illusion or something that makes the pens not look just right.

livertrans

Brasso works excellant to shine the brass. Contact Daniel and see if he has any more kits that he had put together. I purchased a few kits from him and they work really well. There is the real bullet in the kit. There is also a tutorial in the library. I think someone else also sells the bullets and brass but I cant think who it is.

Marc Phillips

Kits

Brasso works excellant to shine the brass. Contact Daniel and see if he has any more kits that he had put together. I purchased a few kits from him and they work really well. There is the real bullet in the kit. There is also a tutorial in the library. I think someone else also sells the bullets and brass but I cant think who it is.

I would like a kit with the actual bullet in it... can you (anyone?) provide a link?

Thanks...

jimofsanston

Never dull.

I used never dull when i was in the military to shine up my brass. And i used it on some shells that i am making pens out of and give it a spray of laquer or clear coat.

workinforwood

The new shape is still proportionally appearing to be almost twice as long as the actual bullet. A 50 cal is big, but not that big. What it has is some gerth, some weight and a heck of a lot of velocity.

rherrell

Marc, chuck the casing in your lathe and sand it before you buff. I use the black wet/dry paper(used dry) and go 600,800 then buff. You can start at 400 if it's really bad but DON'T go any lower or you'll have a heck of a time trying to remove the scratches. I use a dedicated sewn cotton wheel for buffing. The sewn wheels are a little firmer than the loose wheels of the Beall and you can push a little harder on them. I use the blue buffing compound and have real good luck with it. It comes in a bar like tripoli or WD.
After polishing I remove all the black gunk with acetone but DNA, mineral spirits or lacquer thinner works too.

I get all my buffing supplies here... http://www.caswellplating.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom