This is what has been taking up my time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

Just moved into my new shop. My old shop was a shed 96 sqft the new shop is 2,000 sqft. It has two rooms for machining and three rooms for offices and storage.

Three more lathes are on order. Two wood lathes and a sharp tool room lathe. Also a laser is on order.

I have 8 jobs that I am working on. My only break will be next week for the DC pen show.
Stop by if you are there.

Alan

Attachments

• machineroom1sm.jpg
    machineroom1sm.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 257
  • machineroom2sm.jpg
    machineroom2sm.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 266
  • shopsm.jpg
    shopsm.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
An old friend used to say, "You got more guts than a Christmas goose!!!"

As you know Alan, we wish you nothing but SUCCESS!!!

ashaw

Thanks guys
This is twice as big as our house. Because of the economy and commercial rentals been low this was a good deal. I have eight jobs closing within the next two weeks that will keep me busy for the next year. I am gearing up for the first two jobs that are 1200 pens each. This was the next step for the business to grow.

We will see what happens.

Ed, it was great seeing you and Dawn last month in Chicago. It has been so crazy here since I got back that I did not get a chance to post here about seeing you. The parade was good, got to drive a race car on Saturday. Had the thing up to 160 mph. It was a blast.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The little blue sign in the lower right corner appears to say "4263" and the building is, very likely, in Pennsylvania--simply "Apply within"!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alan has had twenty years of ups and downs in the "pen industry" over the last 5 years I have known him. BUT, he and his VERY SUPPORTIVE wife stuck it out!!!

There is a real life lesson here!!

alphageek

Former Moderator
Did you say 1200 pens:eek:. You must really love to turn.

Actually - go back and ready that again.. its 1200 x 2!! I don't know if I'll make that make in my LIFETIME!!

Wow.. But man the idea of a shop bigger than my house! I like that. Congrats! I think I'd be ok with that being a full time job!

bitshird

Alan if the Sharp Lathe is as good as their knee mills you'll fall in love, I hate to say it but the new sharp we got at school is nicer than the new Bridgeport, smoother operating easier spindle speed adjustment and so far ) backlash, and it's finished the way Bridgeport used to be with a beautifully scraped table and the ways are also nicely done.

chiefgreen

Alan, congratulations on the new shop. 2400 pens + 6 other jobs. Whew, I see from the posts this is your business, but please tell a dumb ole Navy guy how do you go about such a task? I mean no insult and not trying to butt in, but let me butt in? :) Is there only you? How does one make so many pens? Is each pen made individually? I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around such a number. Do you sleep?
Again, great shop. It makes my work area look like a garage...wait it is a garage :) :)
chiefgreen

ashaw

You didn't mention where lady MacBeth's room was. With 2000 square feet you have to have some room for her.

Mike lady has not been over her as of yet. They were still laying the floor down. Contact cement and a newfie do not mix. I would have patches of fur all over the place and she would have bald spots.

When she is over her she has any room she likes.

ashaw

Thanks guys.
This is a full time job. We are working on a total of 12 accounts. I am trying to get the shop booked up for about three years. We have 1 account closing next week and another right behind that. My one account the pens were received so well that it is open to the general membership. They figured 10% of the membership will buy the pens. The currently they have 68,000 members.

The number are mind numbing but this is what I was hoping for and what my wife and I were work towards.

By the end of September I will have two employees working here. Right now they will only be part time with the intent of going full time in 2011.

I have been working 15 hours a day 6 days a week.

IPD_Mrs

That would make one soft carpet! Then again your wife would have your head for doing it and mine for suggesting it. On second thought a nice bed in the corner would be great.

Teak, our Doberman will lay on the front side of the table saw when doing production work and will have saw dust 4-6 inches thick on her until we make her get up. On a short haired Dobe that is ok. It would not be a good thing on a Newfie.

Congrats again and we hope to see more pictures one you have it all set up.

Top Bottom