This is how to turn a pen in under 10 minutes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

btboone

I had a CNC version of one of those lathes for metal once. It was called a Swiss Automatic. It feeds the stock and drills and rough turns and finish turns the stock simultaneously. Finished parts come out in a bin. That particular machine might not work for wood though. I wonder for wood if it might be done by grinding. I've seen profile grinders that make the finished shape in one plunge. For a pen half, that would take about a second or two! The pens might be automatically assembled too, although human labor is cheap enough over there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Bruce, one of those Boston Public TV shows had visited a Company that used these Auto Lathes. They used profile knives and fed themselves and took no time to fill a hopper. The operator was there to empty the hopper...[:)]

Who would have thought that robots would weld uni-body cars and then other robots would paint them[?]

btboone

Wow. It must be fun to watch that stuff run. As you say, the challenge would be keeping it fed, cleaned out of sawdust, and removing the parts fast enough. I've seen the old automatic machines for small metal parts such as hose fittings and things. It amazes me that they are all "programmed" just by having the correct shaped cams. Everything is mechanical without the aid of computer driven axes.

dougle40

It amazes me that they are all "programmed" just by having the correct shaped cams.

I used to set up and run one of those machines . All metal turnings though , various parts for diesel engines . Would load 20' bars 6-8 at a time . All the shaping was done with "form" tools . Output - 80-1500 pieces per hour .

Fred in NC

John, yes some of this wood will probably splinter. I will have to figure out how to take care of it, because that is the wood the pens need to be made of. Some of it might even be a bit scorched.

I just got a piece of wood that dates back to the American Revolution, over 200 years old! It is a chair leg. Not sure what to do to preserve the historical value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom