Third Pen - TwoTone Mahogany and Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

Another sliver of my folks back door frame combined with a piece of the oak from which my dining room table was made. 10 coats of CA, sanded between each and finished with my nice new set of 9 sanding pads! (How did I EVER manage without these?!?!)

This was made for a friend of mine who has arthritis. The big chubby writing end contrasts quite a bit with the ladylike top half. I didn't want to waist this one so I made myself a ring for the middle. It's a couple of small pieces of brass sheet soldereed together to make it thicker. Here are the sheets soldered together and drilled before turning:

1_20100327BrassRing.jpg

Here's a cross-section of the two types of timber bonded together and a look at the tubes before finishing.

The observant will notice that these have been turned with no brass tubes in yet. That's because I didn't want to glue the tubes in to find that the whole thing looked rubbish, so I used a slightly larger than normal mandrel.

Yep. It's the guide rod out of my old computer printer and some custom made spacers.

Here's the pen having been turned down to its final shape. It's had just one coat of CA at this time. As you can see, it's on the mark II 7mm mandrel. I haven't knurled the hand-nut yet. (Anyone know how to do this?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom