Thinking about a new band saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So when I got started a few years ago, I got a Chicago Tool brand 9" band saw off of craigslist for $40. While it does the job for me, I kind of what something nicer. I thought about the Rikon version, but they are on back order from the manufacturer until Feb. sometime. I was thinking about maybe getting the Ryobi at Home Depot. It has decent reviews on it. However for not that much more I could get a blade runner. My basic need is to cut pen blanks. Very rarely do I do any other cutting with the band saw. So I wanted everyone's opinion. Should I go with the Ryobi or get the blade runner? I am trying to keep my cost no higher than $300. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, even if its for a different saw all together.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So the more I think about it and the more I talk to my friend, I think I am going with the Ryobi unless the Rikon is in stock again at WC when I am ready to buy it.

quister

If all your doing is cutting blanks I suggest the band saw over the Blade Runner. I have both and the Blade Runner is basically a jig saw upside down so there's a lot of "bouncing" causing you to have to hold down pretty tightly on the blank as opposed to the band saw which continuously pulls the blade thru your material.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I would wait for the Rikon to be restocked and grab one then. There is a reason that they sell out. A big part of that reason is the excellent customer service from Rikon. I used to have a 10" Rikon and replaced it with a 14" deluxe, they are great saws.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I will admit that they look very close and the specs do appear to be the same, but I was told by my contact at Rikon that they are not the making tools for Sears. In my opinion, they may be coming out of the same factory but I would buy the Rikon just for the service I have received from them over the years. Agian, that is just my opinion.

B Wo

I purchased the WC Rikon 10" Bandsaw in December, when it went on special. I like it very much, and I've heard rave reviews, especially after users had outfitted it with an upgraded saw blade. I have one complaint, though, and that is the table only accommodates a 5/8" miter gauge. I have looked high and low and have not been able to find anything except the 2-star Rikon one, designed for the 10" band saw. A couple reviewers on WC say that it doesn't even fit the slot. I get mine tomorrow, so I shall see.

Don't mean to rant. Bottom line: I am a novice, at best, but I like the saw and it shows a lot of promise. I am very irritated about the lack of options in the realm of miter gauges. Had I been more knowledgeable, that is a criteria I would have taken into consideration when shopping around for a saw.

Just my 2¢. Best of luck.

76winger

I would wait for the Rikon to be restocked and grab one then. There is a reason that they sell out. A big part of that reason is the excellent customer service from Rikon. I used to have a 10" Rikon and replaced it with a 14" deluxe, they are great saws.

I recently saw a demo of the Rikon 14" bandsaw, it's an impressive machine and on my want list. :wink:

Kretzky

My understanding (& I could be wrong :wink:) is that the Sear's 10" IS the Rikon 10", one of those Chinese re-badging jobs again.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

If all you are doing s blank cutting... I would approach this completely different...check this out...

Mini Table Saw - 4" Mighty-Mite Mini Table Saw

image_13744.jpg

redneckmedic

I find the band saw to be one of the most versatile saws you can own. If I were in the market for a new one I would wait for a great one before settling on second best because I had to wait 1 month. You have a band saw so wait for the one you really want.

ToddMR

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. Very helpful! I guess I will see where I am at money wise in a couple weeks when I plan to purchase. I am for sure leaning to the Rikon or even maybe a Grizzly unit. I am also contemplating the 14" saw instead in case I plan to do more like round off bowl blanks etc which the 10" saws can't handle normally. I will let everyone know what I get. Thanks again for the valuable feedback.

edicehouse

I got an email from Woodcraft last week. Rikon are 10% off this weekend (12-13) there. You might go in and order one and get the % off. I decided I wanted a particular table saw and had to drive about an hour an half one way to get it from Lowes, but glad I did. It is used as a great thing to hold my pen stuff. LOL.

jfoh

If you can be patient Craiglist is a very good place to watch. I bought my Powermatic Band saw with mobile base for less than half price. It was never used. First owner had installed the blade upside down and did not know that was the reason it did not cut well. Added a riser block from EBay that cost fifty dollars delivered and am one happy fellow.

Found my Powermatic joiinter that had been used just one or two times. Still had packing grease on it. I am the third owner and it is still like new. Cost two thirds of a real new one. People buy tools and never use them or find out that it looks easier on TV than in real life. Then they let the tool sit unused until they decide to sell if for pennies on the dollar.

Top Bottom