Thinking about a drill press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rblakemore

Try drilling on a lathe again

OK, let me try again please. I use the long jaws available for the Easy Wood chuck; I made two practice attempts drilling with the lathe and succeeded. I then nearly ruined a black trustone blank being drilled for a special purpose and was off center just a little. How do I make sure a blank is lined up correctly for drilling on the lathe??

Hendu3270

OK, let me try again please. I use the long jaws available for the Easy Wood chuck; I made two practice attempts drilling with the lathe and succeeded. I then nearly ruined a black trustone blank being drilled for a special purpose and was off center just a little. How do I make sure a blank is lined up correctly for drilling on the lathe??

If the blank isn't perfectly square, then you have to do a little "eye-balling" to get it as close as possible. But on a non-segmented blank, it's not super critical that your blank is perfectly centered. There's no reason for it to be waaay off, but it doesn't have to be perfect. What DOES need to be perfect, is your alignment of your bit, when drilling. If your bit is not perfectly centered, it will cut to one side, thus cutting a larger diameter hole. I'm wondering if this is what is happening.

I have to pay a little more attention to my drill chuck position when I'm drilling.

Last edited:

gwlundgren

I bought a Porter*Cable at Lowes. $329. Floor standing model. Item # 78742 Model # PCB660DP

I like it a lot. I added a drill press table from HF. Being a disabled Vet I get the 10% military discounts, which helps a lot.

Previously I had a Ryobi bench top and it just didn't do the trick with my other projects either. Not enough capacity.

Top Bottom