There is no try!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alphageek

alphageek

Former Moderator
Do or do not, there is no try.. I have now moved up from Padawan to Jedi apprentice (ok enough star wars)... I know my skills have moved up a bit when I can turn acrylster w/o fear. I roughed this out with a gouge, then used a skew for most of it. It is molten metal on a copper cigar.

2008264511_IMG_5402r.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

This is my favorite material and color! You did a great job, that cigar is spectacular. I have turned about a dozen of these and have only had one issue with breakage. I had one crumble when my pen mill dug into it. As always, it was mostly my error. Light cuts with sharp tools and you can't go wrong.

John

alphageek

Former Moderator
I came up with that shape as some people feel the cigars are too thick. It seems to give a good 'feel' that everyone likes so far. I suggest you try it Arthur.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Originally posted by rherrell

Originally posted by airrat

GratZ Dean, acrylester is a step up from acrylic. Looks good.
You think so Tom? Personally, I hate it. I have a couple blanks left, What'll ya' give me for 'em?
Rick - I think he meant a "step up" in skills needed to do it over other acrylics!

What colors do you have, how many, and what would you like? I might consider some trade - I've got some extra wood I could swap (palm, curly maple, morado(sp?), maybe some others?)

rherrell

Originally posted by alphageek

Originally posted by rherrell

Originally posted by airrat

GratZ Dean, acrylester is a step up from acrylic. Looks good.
You think so Tom? Personally, I hate it. I have a couple blanks left, What'll ya' give me for 'em?
Rick - I think he meant a "step up" in skills needed to do it over other acrylics!
What colors do you have, how many, and what would you like? I might consider some trade - I've got some extra wood I could swap (palm, curly maple, morado(sp?), maybe some others?)

I'd have to agree with that. Must be some big steps 'cause I'm having trouble getting to the top of the stairs.
When I get home I'll see what I have and maybe we can work some kind of a trade.

Tanner

Beautiful pen!! Nice kit choice with that blank! Acrylester blew out on me a few times until someone here said to not drill all the way through the blank. Now I just measure from the middle, (so where the pen meets matches up). Drill 3/16 or so extra, and cut off the end. No more blow outs since then. Round the corners off and use sharp tools.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I was turning some last night. The material was coming off in ribbons, all was going well. However, I have a sore shoulder (from a fall - it's hell getting old) and turning was hurting. So, should I stop, well, let's sharpen the skew and at least finish this one. Turned around, three or four passes on my new Tormek wheel (Yeah, I bit the bullet and bought a new wheel), went back to finish and NO PAIN!! This was when I realized that we all PREACH sharp tools, but, when everything is going WELL, do you sharpen anyhow???

PERHAPS, turning acrylester would be easier if tools were truly sharp. Can you cut paper with your tool? A tool that is sharp enough for cocobolo can still be a LONG WAY from acrylester sharp.

Just a thought, not a critique. I turn a LOT of plastics, if you are turning with a SHARP tool, the plastic looks wet. IF it doesn't look wet, the tool CAN be sharper.:D:D

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by ed4copies

I have a sore shoulder (from a fall - it's hell getting old)

Sure that is what you tell all of us. I bet the shoulder thing is from Dawn keeping you in line![:0] Just let us know if things go a little too far and we can call Adult Protective Services for you Ed. :D

DozerMite

Banned
Nice looking pen. The copper works well with that blank.

I wish I could get my tools sharp enough to make the blank look wet.
I guess I'll just have to keep spitting on it.:D

Top Bottom