The wifes 1st time pen turn...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DSallee

Hey all,

Well the wife decided to try her hand at pen turning. She done really good although she was nervous as heck, worried she was going to break something or ruin the blank.. LOL

She cut the blank to size on the tablesaw herself (first time user), she drilled it out on the lathe herself, set the inserts herself. She also milled it on the lathe herself, turned it from start to finish herself using a 3/4" roughing gouge only, sanded it herself starting with 150 going up to 600 then friction polish on the lathe.

She loved it and now we have a 2nd lathe planned in our near future...

This is a CSUSA Euro kit in Rhodium. She used a Tulipwood blank.

Her pride and joy!

LaBlanc.jpg

Here is the back side showing some nice grain contrast....

back.jpg

And this is one I turned to show her the steps of how to turn one... I would do a few steps, then she would do the step I showed her on hers. Worked out really well...

mine.jpg

All comments and suggestions welcome!

Thanks for looking...
Dave & Dee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmhawk

HEY, Those are really hard to do (for me anyway) SHE DID GREAT! Wow, please tell her I am very impressed. Wonderful work. (I have GOT to make more pens, my son hijacked my lathe for perfume pens, your wife makes me look like amateur hour, good gosh) :D
WAY TO GO DEE!

Dee

Howdee everyone!

Thank you very much for all the wonderful compliments on my first pen!! I was so nervous my hands were shaking....and then I got into it more and it was great fun!

Dave and I have been together for 8 yrs and have run a business together and have never had a fight...so I have to credit this pen to his wonderful teaching and extreme patience...cause I'm sure at times I tested it..LOL!

It's wonderful to be here everyone...and thank you again for your compliments. If you read my bio...please don't think I'm crazy....I'm just a pen freak...LOL!

Dee

DSallee

Originally posted by ligget

That is like a CSUSA photo, excellent turning indeed she done rally great! [:0][:p]

Thanks for the photo compliment. I actually got the idea from them.. LOL

Set it up like theirs and shot it in my lightbox...

Dave

desertyellow

That was a genious move.
Soon she will be hooked too and you will have a partner in crime.
Great looking pens.
The couple that turns together, stays together.

Tony,
Las Vegas

Top Bottom