The power of corn.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Power Pencil kit. Used stabilized cobs from RTJW. Only thing I dont like about it is the fact that the ring of the clip is smaller than the brass plunger above it, making the pen kit somewhat clunky up top.

This was made for a friend's father's birthday. He shakes a little and loves crosswords. The 2mm leads should be great for him.

**Oh, and the basic shape was shamelessly stolen from Andy. :D

powercorn2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Skye, you wouldn't last a minute in DC. You didn't "shamelessly steal" his design; you paid him the highest form of flattery and immitated the design to the best of your ability.

Okay, okay, so it was a little corny - what do you expect? [:D]

Very nice job; love the finish on there!

Kaspar

I've never cared for the stabilized corn cobs, but that aside, you've done an excellent job. I like the shape. I'm a bushing to bushing guy, mainly because I want a pen that looks like a pen and not a table leg, but also because I don't like just winging it, or to go to all the trouble and end up with a shape that I didn't like.

But I enjoy seeing these finished experiments and I've seen a few shapes I've liked very much and might try sometime.

jtate

Has anyone done a corn cob pen drilled and cut 'on the diagonal,' that is, drilled entering off center, running through the center and exiting the cob on the other side of the center/pith? I'd like to see how that would look!

Julia

Skye

Only problem doing that is when you enter off center, you'll turn off center. When you turn corn off center, one side will be full of pockets, one side down to the pith. Unless it's a real slight diagonal, it probably wont work. Real down side is; If it does work, it'll probably look like a mistake.

Skye

Heh, I sure as heck hope not! [^]

I used CA. I turned it, sanded it down with 400, then laid down a coat of thin. Two more of thin, then 2 of thick. Wet sanded with MM. I still dont have a real set CA plan and mostly wing it. I really need to get a step-by-step and stick to it.

Thanks all [:)]

fiferb

Can I pull it apart in the middle and check the end milling?[}:)] Turn about is fair play.[:D] Actually, I've been thinking about it since we spoke at Bubbasville South and on my next one I'm going to use thin CA and mill slowly. If I mill past the CA I'll put more on and let it dry, repeating as necessary until I get it trimmed to length.

Nice job by the way!

Skye

You mean on the corncobs? That's what I do to try and stabilize it, it works sometimes, sometimes not.

I'd suggest looking into on of the sanding things that the NC guy is going to sell. Seems like the perfect aplication.

Oh, and this kit is pressed together in the center, so you cant take it apart. Ah hah! [:D]

mick

Skye, I like it! I'm not familar with that kit. How big is it compared to a Cigar pen. I ask because I've had little or no luck with smaller pens done in corn cob. I've got some smaller cobs from Johnny and may have to drag em out!

Skye

Well, it's on an 8mm tube, so it's a little bigger than a slimline as far as the hole, which is helpful.

I would say it’s closer to a cigar in comparison to a slimline. It’s got a fairly large tip which helps. I’ll try to get a side-by-side shot as soon as I get home. The woman who I made if for will be picking it up tonight.

It's a PSI Power Pencil and they also cary Power Pens.

I got lucky with the top and bottom matching as well as they did. I just eyeballed the cobs and hoped for the best. I also squared the blanks up a little on the side of my grinding wheel because they were a little flat, like something was sat on them.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have been making the Power Points for a couple of years because I like the 2mm lead.(great shop pencil)
Down side is there is no eraser.
The size is much smaller than a cigar more like an executive.
They can also be customized easily.
I like to omit the CB(Hide it inside and make it one piece)

2006926212053_Eagaleyzed%20powerpoint%20002.jpg
<br />

2006926212153_Maple%20power%20points%20003.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom