The pen that didn't want to be..........Kinda long

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toolcrazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolcrazy

This all started when I ordered a baron pen mandrel from AS. Bill generously included a couple blanks precut for a closed end baron. I thought great, perfect blank to try the mandrel out. He sent what looked to be box elder burl. I easily drilled the main barrel and started to do the cap, well it blew out on me. I was !@#$@ off, big time. When I calmed down, I thought I could get away with a piece of Flaming box elder. This drilled great and it is the cap you see in the pic. I easily finished off both pieces and the pen looked great. The next mishap was when the roller ball cartridge started leaking. No biggie, replace it, went to remove it and found it glued in. Tried everything to remove it, wasn't moving. Finally took it to the shop and trimmed the closed end off to remove the stuck cartridge. I trimmed it down so I could put it back on the lathe to turn it to a regular baron. I carefully trued it up with my barrel trimmer and I guess I wasn't careful enough, I blew it up again. By this time, I wasn't giving in. I put the blank on the lathe trimmed off the broken part getting it ready for a patch. This is the finished pic you see below. And to finish this off, when I took the pictures, I noticed a crack in the add on section. It has cracked clear to the seam. I guess it's the pen that don't want to be. I don't know if I want to repair it again, or chuck it in the things I learned file.
20078163854_Pen-from-hell.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I would set that up on top of my work area to remind me it is all small stuff...Dont worry about it, as long as you learned something, and you sorta had fun with it keep it as a reminder...

CaptG

Those make good house pens, by the phone, on the kitchen counter, coffee table etc. I know, I have a couple. OK, maybe more than a couple, but they come in handy[:I][:D][:I]

toolcrazy

I'm gonna try one more time, but it is still gonna be a user. Try something of a more contrasting wood, like maybe ebony. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom