"The new guy" post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from HoratioHornblower

Hello all, after being warmly and very kindly received it was brought to my attention that if there are no pictures that it didn't happen. So, here are some of the pens that I have made along with absolutely horrible pictures. I do apologize as I do not have access to a good camera right now and I forgot to take these when the sun was out. Anyway, I wanted to get these on here just to prove that it happened! I am still having some issues with fit, though I am starting to use calipers and that seems to help, but my real issue is my lack of ability to avoid some type of white spot on my CA finish. I check about every two coats, but I still in the end have some type of blemish. I would love comments, especially in the finish area. I have read the CA finish section in the library, but maybe I just need to go back to read it again. I haven't used BLO yet, so maybe that would help?

Attachments

• IMG_4454.jpg
    IMG_4454.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_4453.jpg
    IMG_4453.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_4438.jpg
    IMG_4438.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_4396.jpg
    IMG_4396.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thank you! I hope to eliminate most of the CA issues at the ends of the blank by using the delrin bushings that I have coming in the mail from Exotics.

azamiryou

Nice pens!

Is the third one a Euro (Designer)? If so, the lower barrel is usually turned quite a bit smaller than the center band, so the center band makes a "step" down to the lower barrel.

You're off to a great start!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The issue of "fit" is one of practice and patience. the White spots on the ca may be your in a hurry as well. I had problems with my ca finishes being consistent. One would go smooth as silk the next would fight me all the way. I had Chuck (dalecamino) show me his methods and that helped a lot. Find a method and stick to it. Every one has a different way to put it on that works. The segmented pen "fit" issues aside is a great design. You might check out you tube for ca finish methods for visual reference.

Mike

Thanks for the complements and help everyone!

Matthew - It is a designer, and I realized that I had turned the bottom too large after it was all finished. I didn't know beforehand that it was supposed to be smaller because it was given to me, and I didn't have the patience to wait for the instructions... Oh well, I still enjoyed turning it. The top did fit, until I had to redo the CA finish, and then it came out to the wrong size. By then I was too frustrated so I let it be.

Mike - I think part of the problem was the wax paper I was using. I had moved away from paper towels because they didn't work too well for me, but I can think of several reasons why so I am going to try them again. The other part that might be an issue is my using thin CA as opposed to using medium with an accelerant. I try to use a small amount of accelerant, but maybe the thin cures too fast to use accelerant?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Try a bounty paper towel and use the back side. Youdont want it to absorb the Ca. but puddle up a little. Use a little thin ca quick swipe. let dry. do it again 3-6 times then move to medium same procedure 6-8 coats. sand and finish. start at 320 or 400 and down to 2,000 grit or micro mesh down to 12,000 etc. Then a plastic polish of some kind.

Thanks Mike! That process put together really helps! I was doing some of that, but missing some key points of the process. Hopefully now it will go smother after some more frusteration!

You didn't mention accelerant, was that implied, or do you recommend not using it?

drgoretex

Hey, welcome! Beautiful pens, look forward to seeing more!

More than anything, though, COOL NAME!! That was one of my favourite series. Awesome action and drama.

Keep the pen pix coming!

Ken

Top Bottom