The most unusal !!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

We have a winner!!!! it is whale flipper bone and John Flory (JF36) beat Landon (hunter-27) by 60 seconds...
John PM me your address to receive your blanks....

Haynie

darn! With that last hint I was going to say you caught some crazy brit trying to get his hands on whitey and this was how you were getting rid of the evidence.

How the heck did you get your hands on whale fin bone?

philb

Damn why did I say vertebrae not backbone! Was 2 minutes clear too!!

You find some crazy things for pen blanks!! You would guess the pen was from the segment of bone in the background.

Last edited:

workinforwood

darn! With that last hint I was going to say you caught some crazy brit trying to get his hands on whitey and this was how you were getting rid of the evidence.

How the heck did you get your hands on whale fin bone?

I'd start the quest in China Town. They got everything there. Next pen will probably be whale prostrate, nobody will ever guess that and Roy's the only one that might touch it! :biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Now that we have determined it's whale bone I'll tell the story of this bone, I got it from Rick P in Alaska about 4-5 months ago and sent it to Mesquite man to stablize and dye. Curtis said he had never seen anything like it, it was like stablizing air. He ran it through the vacuume chamber a number of times to get it to the blank you see in the picture and even that it stll had HUNDREDS OF VOIDS. It took me over an hour to turn each barrel as I had to take VERY lite cuts with my Rotundo. When I sanded it all the pours filled with sanding dust and after each frit I used my compressor to blow the pours out. As I said in order to fill the pors I used over 30 coats (I stopped counting after 35) of CA, most likely 50-60 to fill the pours and seal it. I now thinking that I have one blank left and will wait until this one is sold before attempting another one.

JF36

Now that we have determined it's whale bone I'll tell the story of this bone, I got it from Rick P in Alaska about 4-5 months ago and sent it to Mesquite man to stablize and dye. Curtis said he had never seen anything like it, it was like stablizing air. He ran it through the vacuume chamber a number of times to get it to the blank you see in the picture and even that it stll had HUNDREDS OF VOIDS. It took me over an hour to turn each barrel as I had to take VERY lite cuts with my Rotundo. When I sanded it all the pours filled with sanding dust and after each frit I used my compressor to blow the pours out. As I said in order to fill the pors I used over 30 coats (I stopped counting after 35) of CA, most likely 50-60 to fill the pours and seal it. I now thinking that I have one blank left and will wait until this one is sold before attempting another one.

WOW that was a lot of work that went into that pen. I think it was worth it the pen looks flawless

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Roy: You're not fooling anyone! You were just getting ideas for your next "most unusual" !!!!! You're something else. I haven't decided yet what it is, but it's something else!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
One of a Kind!

Top Bottom