The Majestic Elephant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this morning. It's a Jeff Powell blank called Out of Africa that I got from Exotic Blanks. I felt a Majestic animal such as the Elephant might look good on a Majestic Pen. Drilling was difficult and I lost one blank to it collapsing in the pen vise. There's not much left to the walls of the blank by the you drill the hole for the cap. Luckily I bought a second one and went back to work. Turned out OK. Not quite sure if it's a little too much pen for the blank...Any how, comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Have a happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend and give thanks and remembrance to those who sacrificed in order to allow us to live free. Regards, Doc:)

Attachments

• The Majestic Elephant_1.jpg
    The Majestic Elephant_1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 261
  • The Majestic Elephant.jpg
    The Majestic Elephant.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I am also curious what peoples opinions will be. That must be one heck of a huge kit with a monster drill bit, because those blanks are larger than a typical 3/4 blank..generally averaging 7/8 square! My personal opinion is the elephant is too much for that pen kit. When I look at image 1, the pen itself looks amazing, the color combo and kit fit perfect. It's when I look at the cap, I can't relate the elephant to the kit adornment. I think maybe some designs, like a dragon design or a sun design can compliment all the fancy adornments of the kit, but some other designs might be best left more simple. If the elephant was wearing fancy dress, perhaps that would be more fitting the kit. I think that's how I feel..but really I'm not sure how I feel. I know the craftsmanship that went into turning and finishing the pen and the photo's sure are exceptional. I just can't decide on your other question exactly.

wizard

I am also curious what peoples opinions will be. That must be one heck of a huge kit with a monster drill bit, because those blanks are larger than a typical 3/4 blank..generally averaging 7/8 square! My personal opinion is the elephant is too much for that pen kit. When I look at image 1, the pen itself looks amazing, the color combo and kit fit perfect. It's when I look at the cap, I can't relate the elephant to the kit adornment. I think maybe some designs, like a dragon design or a sun design can compliment all the fancy adornments of the kit, but some other designs might be best left more simple. If the elephant was wearing fancy dress, perhaps that would be more fitting the kit. I think that's how I feel..but really I'm not sure how I feel. I know the craftsmanship that went into turning and finishing the pen and the photo's sure are exceptional. I just can't decide on your other question exactly.

Jeff, I think you are right. I got the not so brilliant idea of a majestic animal on a majestic pen... :rolleyes:...and went for it. Actually, I'm thinking of buying another blank and starting over....this pen doesn't look right in midst of the rest of my collection..if that makes any sense. Doc :)

workinforwood

I hadn't thought of that..majestic on majestic! LOL. I think those blanks are sold out...but you can double check to make sure. The artist that made them probably has some in his studio though. :wink:

maxman400

I Like it in this plating, the black in the kit pulls out and caries the black in blank. The chrome is a neutral color to me because it reflects what ever it is next to. I don't think I would have liked with the gold trim but the black works for me. And as always Outstanding work Doc. and a Great blank Jeff.

jttheclockman

Well I stoped by and checked a few posts and saw this one. Now I know 2 great artists teamed up on this kit and blank but i do have to question some of Jeff's design's such as this where there are animals involved. To me this pen is geared to elephant lovers and how many are there of those???:) I think Jeff has a dragon fly also out now and again do not see the draw to it. I maybe missing the whole animal and insect thing completely and if that is the case then excuse my thoughts. Is the workmanship there, yes of course but I think Jeff's mind has taken a detour somewhere:biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry to post this in your thread Doc but I need the backdrop to make my point.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, if Jeff was making hundreds, you may have a point.

However, in a country with over 300 million residents, you can find two dozen who will LOVE any animal. And, Jeff rarely makes more than two dozen of anything.

So, the artist can select his own subject---INSPIRATION is where HE finds it---right now, it is, in part, animals.

And there are more people who WANT them, than blanks made.

Last edited:

workinforwood

Well I stoped by and checked a few posts and saw this one. Now I know 2 great artists teamed up on this kit and blank but i do have to question some of Jeff's design's such as this where there are animals involved. To me this pen is geared to elephant lovers and how many are there of those???:) I think Jeff has a dragon fly also out now and again do not see the draw to it. I maybe missing the whole animal and insect thing completely and if that is the case then excuse my thoughts. Is the workmanship there, yes of course but I think Jeff's mind has taken a detour somewhere:biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry to post this in your thread Doc but I need the backdrop to make my point.

The Elephant is a symbol of intelligence and good luck with his trunk up like that. You don't care for Elephants. I'm not an Elephant lover and would not carry an Elephant pen, but I have nothing at all against them as they are quite magical, and I certainly do think they look great on a pen..but not nearly as great and magical as Dragonflies. You being a man though, as I am, you don't have that type of fantasy in your life...probably more interested in cars or swords or skulls..man stuff, nothing wrong with that! But..some men will like Elephants and Dragonflies too, and that doesn't say anything odd about them at all..heck I like watching the dragonflies while I fish, I find it fascinating. Bottom line is I enjoy what I do, but at the same time, I like to make people happy and their dreams come true...all these things like dragonflies, Elephants, Unicorns, Lizards and sea turtles and Dolphins, they are born of requests from customers. I can't tell them what they want, they tell me and I try and make it happen as best I can while at the same time keeping it affordable and universal - meaning so they can have as broad a range of kits to choose from with the blank as possible. The enjoyment of it all is my main priority, but I also have to turn a profit, and I'm happy to say that Elephants are profitable...if you look for one you'll see they all sold out and they sold out fast! All the wives will want Dragonflies when they come online. It just is what it is, and It's a win win for me..joyful fulfillment of working with my hands making things people really want and some extra cash to grow the business with..that's a perfect world right there!

Buzzzz4

Yea, that is a big set of components for that blank. I have one of those blanks. Still thinking about the right parts for it. I like it though.

Pioneerpens

Doc as always it looks great! I have to agree with Jeff tho about the kit~I generally use a jr. gent with Jeff's blanks and let the blank dress up the pen instead of the other way around.
I'm also going to have to get one of that fabulous dragonfly....About a week or so ago, I had somebody ask me if I had anything with drangonflies lol...whoda thunk it! Oh that's right~ Jeff Powell of course ;)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
This is off topic and I apologize to you, Doc.

When Dawn did stained glass, we sold an unbelievable array of dragonfly stuff. Also "Lady bugs" and, OMG BUTTERFLIES by the basket-fulls. Wolfs, porpoises (si??), whales, frogs, cardinals (Il. state bird), bluebirds, cats--given time, I could find several others, but those stick in my mind.

And we did not sell them by the "dozens", but by the hundreds--Dawn spent hours cutting the same part, over and over.

workinforwood

This is how it really is Ed. You got a booth at a show full of dragonflies and butterflies only. If you are a man standing in front of that booth when the doors open, expect to become part of the lawn, because the ladies are going to trample you!

Brooks803

Jeff, I think you are right. I got the not so brilliant idea of a majestic animal on a majestic pen... :rolleyes:...and went for it. Actually, I'm thinking of buying another blank and starting over....this pen doesn't look right in midst of the rest of my collection..if that makes any sense. Doc :)

How does that saying go? It's like having an elephant in the room :biggrin:

I'm torn on this myself. I really like the blank, and the kit. I can surely appreciate the difficulty in drilling/turning for the components. I believe it's a 37/64th bit for the cap and even with a full 7/8" there isn't room for error. So my hats off to you for that! You did a great job as always Doc. Keep it up and don't hesitate when it comes to being creative, sink or swim you tried!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Keep it up and don't hesitate when it comes to being creative, sink or swim you tried!

Very philosophical, Jonathon. But, if Doc hits the water with an elephant in his pocket, the outcome is rather pre-determined!! "Blub---blub":biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

wizard

And that's all I am going to say about that....:bye::bye::bye::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• Elephant Rear.jpg
    Elephant Rear.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 91

jttheclockman

Hey I was just voicing an opinion and if you sell tons of them then good for you. I just did not see the fasinaction in these type things. There must be a market for them good for you and thanks for showing Doc.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The other "gold mine" was angels, JT. If you are looking for ideas---man did we sell angels (3" standing up, gold plated stained glass--yes it was real gold on all the lead came).

Last edited:

jttheclockman

The other "gold mine" was angels, JT. If you are looking for ideas---man did we sell angels (3" standing up, gold plated stained glass--yes it was real gold on all the lead came) Several hundred each year. $16-25 ea.

Hey Ed in case you forgot I have done scroll work for over 25 years and still do it. I have sold my share of hot items. My point is this is a pen and I did not see the interest in animals such as these in them. I guess I am wrong and wish Jeff tons of sales in this venue.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I was not trying to argue, just giving another possibility. When we did 26 shows a year, I know we looked long and hard for anything that might be a "winner" (and we introduced LOTS of OOOOppppssssses)
Candle outhouses don't sell well---seemed like a good idea at the time.

jttheclockman

I was not trying to argue, just giving another possibility. When we did 26 shows a year, I know we looked long and hard for anything that might be a "winner" (and we introduced LOTS of OOOOppppssssses)
Candle outhouses don't sell well---seemed like a good idea at the time.

No arguement Ed. I have done many many religious items that were huge sellers including Angels. I am not looking for any ideas but maybe others are. Well Ed if you are looking to get back on the so called circuit. Just put clocks in any item and you have a winner. Hence my name.

Just look at the watch pens:)

Top Bottom