The joys of a happy customer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

I ran into a customer today -- one who ordered a dozen Tulipwood cigars for gifts. I'm pretty insecure about my pens and have this neurotic sense that anybody who ever actually buys one will take a good look at it, find the flaw that I see in it, and conclude that I'm a fraud. I see the pens in SOYP and think, "Hey, I'm glad she doesn't see any really good stuff" -- and it's true. OK, I got issues!!! [:I]

So I cautiously asked her if she'd started giving hers away. She volunteered that she opened every darn one, examined them individually, and couldn't be happier. She kept one for herself and has had enthusiastic "thank-you's" from her recipients.

Few days ago, I got a call from the local Woodcraft store ... a little old lady had seen the pens on display (used to sell kits) and thought they sold pens too. Came in to buy one for her son, who collects fountain pens. The Woodcraft employee knew me and called, put her on the phone, and she ordered a Cambridge fountain in Bocote there on the spot. (Note to self: Buy a few more kits at Woodcraft.) I was going deer hunting that weekend and she needed it for a birthday, so I turned it that evening. (I usually don't turn at night because I have lousy light in my workshop.)

I put it in a nice presentation box and called her the next day and told her it was ready. She came by and was so happy with the pen she almost cried. Left me a check and hung around talking about her family and how the pen would be the "talk of the party." I needed to get back to my work (PR counselor), but this lady needed somebody to talk to, and that seemed more important.

I even told her that since her son is a collector, he had the option of upgrading to one of Lou's nibs. Told her if he wanted to do that, I'd get it and install it at cost.

I never intended to be in the pen business, and I just sell to who comes around asking. But some days, it has its rewards, and they're not all about money. (Though on an order of 14 pens like I finished today, that's nice too!)

Turning a few pre-sold pens is not the worst way to spend a Saturday morning.

FWIW.:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Well, Carl, you've given me issues!! I now have selling insecurity!!!!!!!!![;)]

Sounds like you did well all the way around. Sometimes just talking to someone is the best thing you can do for people.

TBone

Is it just a penturner's disease? I'm guessing it extends to all forms of woodworking and probably other craftsmen as well. We are our worst critics. I have people pick up the ones on my desk that were my second and third attempts and tell me they look good. My answer is "they didn't make the cut".

Great job on the sale and nice story. It's nice to hear about someone who took the time just because the elderly lady just wanted to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom