The Driveway (tubeless wood)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
There's been some recent talk about tubeless wood pens. Just happened to be in the middle of one and got it complete today. And for the herringbone fans, here's another 360 degree pattern that may look good glued up with the right combination of materials. Feel free to expand on the idea. For me, imitation is flattery and you definitely can't hurt my sales. Think this one is called double basket weave but reminded me of a brick driveway.

This is not a glue up (but wish others would try). Amboyna burl, ebonite and epoxy fill.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DWClosed.JPG
    DWClosed.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 726
  • DWOpen.JPG
    DWOpen.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 727
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the cmments
Great looking pen!

I'm not sure what you mean not being a glue up, is this a laser engraved pen?
The pattern was routed out from a solid blank on my CNC, then epoxy filled. A laser could do the same.

My favorite of you posted pens to date, Bruce. Very nicely executed. Any idea how long the entire process took?
I work very slowly and don't really count the hours but I have been working on this off and on for about 2 weeks, so here's an approximation. Design and programming was about 3-4 hours, 30 minutes preparing the amboyna (getting it round, drilling, sealing), 1 screw up on the code cost me a blank and 1.5 hours on the mill, 1.5 hours for second, 3 -15 minute sessions filling the channels, then about 4 hours to make the rest of the parts and finish. Since I now have the code, if I ever made another, which is unlikely, I could cut the time by 3-4 hours. More likely, I will use the technique for a different pattern - there are so many good ones out there just waiting.

ToddMR

Bruce very nice job! I love the pattern you came up with. It does remind me of bricks. I think the pen is just very nice altogether.

jttheclockman

They overall look of the pen is fantastic. Yes that pattern could lead to alot of possibilities. You said this is a tubless wood pen, could you elaborate abit more on what you did and the process. ??

aggromere

What a beautiful pen. If I was out shopping for a pen and saw that one, I would certainly buy it. It is fantastic looking.

PR_Princess

Fantastic work Bruce!!!! Love the combo of the amboyna and ebonite... very classy look indeed!

But one question.... How can this be a driveway with no little cars on the clip??? :devil:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
They overall look of the pen is fantastic. Yes that pattern could lead to alot of possibilities. You said this is a tubless wood pen, could you elaborate abit more on what you did and the process. ??
I assume you are asking about the cap, here are the steps:
1) Turn blank of wood round - keep it longer than the pattern for trim
2) Drill a hole to the final inside diameter of the cap (7/16" in this design)
3) Turn to a few thousandths over final diameter (about .585")
4) Seal with CA to prevent bleeding during fill
5) Write code and rout pattern on CNC with 1/32" end mill
6) Fill channels with black epoxy - requires several applications
7) Turn to near final diameter (.580")
8) Make tenon style inserts for threaded center band and finial
9) Bore patterned tube to fit center band.
10) Mill slot for clip in 2 piece finial
11) Cut threads in finial and center band
12) Sand and finish

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Just about the time I thought I had the whole CNC mill idea out of my head you come up with something like this! :mad: :biggrin:

Looks sharp!
You should reconsider - the best thing about the CNC is that you can take a nap and work on pens at the same time

Fantastic work Bruce!!!! Love the combo of the amboyna and ebonite... very classy look indeed!

But one question.... How can this be a driveway with no little cars on the clip??? :devil:
My new designs allow for interchangeable clips - you never know what might appear. Good idea by the way!!

Top Bottom