The dreaded questions...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

Every year this happens. I dread it, I never know what to respond, and always fear the reaction. What if what I say is not what I really want? Will I sound greedy?

What do you want for your birthday?
What do you want for Christmas?

Talk about stress?

Maybe I will hand my wife the highland woodworking catalog or this website
http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/A!S01.htm

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Simple

I usually answer truthfully and say "Nothing."

If there is something I really want, I probably already have it. Or if I don't it cost's too much for anyone to give it to me as a gift.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I usually answer truthfully and say "Nothing."

If there is something I really want, I probably already have it. Or if I don't it cost's too much for anyone to give it to me as a gift.

I have this problem, too, Smitty.

If it costs MORE than I am WILLING to SPEND, do I want to ask someone else to spend more than I think it's worth???

paintspill

gift certificate from the favorite woodworking store. it so much better than buying tools after christmas and getting hit with, and i quote, "THATS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO SAY WHEN I ASK YOU WHAT YOU WANT FOR CHRISTMAS" end quote

IPD_Mr

Ask any of my kids what the answer is when they ask. Every one of them will say peace and quiet. All these years and I am still waiting.

StephenM

Tell her you want a special piece of wood so you can make her something. A piece of wood from the first house you lived in, a branch from a special tree where you had a picnic, etc.

You come off sounding romantic and thoughtful and put all of the pressure on her to find it.

marksman

Tell her you want a special piece of wood so you can make her something. A piece of wood from the first house you lived in, a branch from a special tree where you had a picnic, etc.

You come off sounding romantic and thoughtful and put all of the pressure on her to find it.

In addition to sounding romantic and thoughtful, if she does find the special piece of wood you asked for...you then get to play in the shop with it. Great idea!

Woodlvr

I needed some things from Woodcraft so I mentioned a Woodcraft Gift Card, two daughters were fine with that but my stepson says I do not like giving gift cards and tells me we have to go to Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabelas, Its been almost 4 month since my birthday and nothing either way, Oh well. But he gives his sisters cash or gift cards and his nieces gift cards so that he does not have to go shopping. I would almost rather state nothing and buy what I need myself and be done with it.

GrantH

Birthday's are always small. Dinner and a small amount of cash from the whole family (like 50 bucks from everyone combined). I don't ask for birthday stuff as my friends typically want to party/go out and so the family is always happy to spend family time over a nice meal.

Christmas is different, at least within the last 5 years. Family is doing well, majority are healthy beyond their years, and us kids have done our jobs at finishing college. I'm fortunate enough, and don't cause any trouble, so Christmas is the splurge holiday. Parents always say "nothing" but end up getting something nice, and the two of us get the things we want within reason. We know what "too much" means though!

BSea

My wife & I have this discussion every year. She always tells me I never give her any suggestions. So about 5 years ago, I thought that I would help her out. I put about 20 items on a typed list. Everything from CD's or DVD's (specific titles, I didn't just say CD's or DVD's) to clothing to a few "toys" I had on my wish list. I gave web sites & product numbers, or model numbers depending on the item. I gave her the list the week before Thanksgiving because we all know that for some reason Women want to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving.

That Christmas I opened my gifts, and I got "ZERO" items from my list, not even 1 of the CD's. So now I just say "Surprise Me".

Haynie

I said nothing.

After I got up from the computer to get a snack I saw her reading my list of needed hand tools I had at the computer, quickly followed by "HOLY ****, these things are expensive!!!!!!!"

Guess I won't be getting the Lie-Nielson Box plane I was looking at. :biggrin: Then I explained that the people who make the super high end tools are so proud of them that they like to show every angle so I know what I am looking at when I see one like it in person

BlackPearl

Make an amazon.com wish list and send people to that.

+1 On that, all year long if there is something that I see that I would like but do not want to spend the time or the shipping to get myself I add it to the Amazon gift list, send people links to Amazon through sites like this that have a reseller/ referral agreement with Amazon, and specifically ask that they go through the link. That way I get the little stuff I would like and the web site that I like gets some support.

Live2Dive

I hate those questions as well. Smitty said it best though.

I do have an auto response to the question though. I answer with "World Peace". They are slowly stopping asking the question, because they know what the answer will be.

Lenny

I hate those questions as well. Smitty said it best though.

I do have an auto response to the question though. I answer with "World Peace". They are slowly stopping asking the question, because they know what the answer will be.

I usually just quote Lucy: "What I really want is Real Estate!" :biggrin:

bitshird

I normally just say nothing, in reality there are some things I would like to have, but as long as I have my Wife and and kids, I don't need much of any thing else.

edicehouse

What I answer when my wife asks would probably get a PM from the mod team..... Most others I say something like a gift card, or a family 8 x 10 of them. That way they can multi gift that to others.

jaywood1207

I separated from my first wife when the kids were only 3 and 4 yrs old. I have always told them to ask their mother what she wanted so that I could help them shop for her and her automatic answer was always Love, Peace, and Joy. About 5 years ago when I was doing a lot of scrolling I found some scrolled ornament patterns that have angels and the words Love, Peace, and Joy on them. Guess what she got from the boys. That shut her up pretty quick on future birthdays and Christmas's asking for Love Peace and Joy. Now if I could just figure out a way so she didn't get half my paycheck every month I'd be really happy.

elody21

The last few years I have been checking Amazon and putting some things on the "wish List" they will keep for you. My son said it makes it much easier and more of a suprise.
Alice

Every year this happens. I dread it, I never know what to respond, and always fear the reaction. What if what I say is not what I really want? Will I sound greedy?

Talk about stress?

Maybe I will hand my wife the highland woodworking catalog or this website
http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/A!S01.htm

Parson

My standard answer is always:

"If it has a transmission or plugs into a wall socket or needs batteries or comes with a remote and I don't already own it, I'll probably enjoy receiving it."

However, at 50 years old I've got just about everything a guy could want in the way of purchased items and no need for more stuff. I also have a lot of peace and quiet in my life.

Correction: there's always a lathe accessory I have my eye on :biggrin:

pianomanpj

I just want a surprise - doesn't matter what it is, just something I'm not expecting...

Last time I said that, I got a sharp blow to the head! Ha! Last time I give THAT answer! :rolleyes:

I give an answer that is just as "lame" as the question - "I don't know." Reason being, if you have to ask, you haven't been paying attention for the last year! I NEVER ask anyone what they want! I've got twelve months to figure it out. My girlfriend always LOVES what I give her, because it's always something she wanted, and never expected. And, yes.... there are "perks" for being thoughtful! :redface:

Rick_G

Since I am retired a few years ago the wife and I decided on a $30 limit. I just maintain a wish list of small stuff I will use in the shop on the Lee Valley website all the time so she doesn't ask any more just goes to the list. For her it's simple, shiny and no real practical use.

Haynie

The school surplus item auction is the day before my birthday. They dismantled the Middle School wood shop in favor of a new computer lab. Sad, but it is the way things go. They have not been able to find a qualified teacher for the last few years. I applied for a transfer but the principal laughed. She still does not think I was serious.

It was a pretty nice wood shop, old but solid tools. I will be going to the auction. Assuming the big items did not "walk off" this will be a once in a life time opportunity since I am mighty strapped for cash. That should take care of the birthday.

Since I am retired a few years ago the wife and I decided on a $30 limit. I just maintain a wish list of small stuff I will use in the shop on the Lee Valley website all the time so she doesn't ask any more just goes to the list. For her it's simple, shiny and no real practical use.

Good idea... my wife and I are both retired and don't really do Christmas or Birthdays for each other... if she wants something during the year, we try to get it for her... may have to save a couple of months... same for me... we don't use the SS checks for this stuff, most of it comes out of what (if anything) I sell. For her Birthday, I spent $100 of my hard earned sales money to give her an art workshop with a local artist... she loved it.... we also converted the extra bedroom that she was using for a den/office to an art studio... new floors, new paint on the walls, cabinets and shelves for her art stuff, a new art/drafting desk, etc....

JimB

I also fall into the 'nothing' group. My wife does as well. Usually we buy a large item for both of us during Christmas because of the prices and deals. This year it will be a TV or a computer or perhaps both.

Top Bottom