The Beautiful pen contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sparhawk

This is Texas Mountain Laurel with Phillipine Persimmon inlays on the end with brass between. Both pieces of wood came from an old member here-Dario. It is on a Diplomat,Gunmetal and Gold from exotic blanks. prtyredo1.jpg

prtyredo2.jpg

terryf

Segmented Mesa

Heres my entry - a Mesa chrome pen kit with home brew segmented blank sandwiched between some African Blackwood. Comments and crit appreciated :)

Attachments

• pen02cedit.jpg
    pen02cedit.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Drstrangefart

Dang..... I was considering trying to find something to make to enter on a slimline kit, but I keep seeing ever larger gauntlets being thrown down. This has ALMOST turned into a who's who of turners I always pay attention to. Just need a few more. This is like watching a fireworks, monster trucks, explosives and ultimate fighting simultaneously competition.

maxman400

Verdigris Civil War Pen

Here Is my Entry- It is a Black Ti Civil War Pen With a Verdigris Poly-resin Blank. :biggrin:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Verdigris Civil war.jpg
    Verdigris Civil war.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 554

omb76

Well, here goes... My entry is a Pheasant Feather Elegant Sierra. I wish I could take credit for the blank, it is one of JohnU's creations. I think this blank paired up really nice with the kit and I like that I was able to turn the diameter smaller than recommended (i.e. not a Vista). Good luck everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 80

USAFVET98

I was in my shop after a while and decided to turn some pens. As I was getting them together, I noticed two blanks I really liked and knew I had to enter the finished product of each of them. The one I chose for the beautiful pen contest was a Civil War kit with a beautiful piece of Secession Hill Oak (figured) I got from Bruce F.

This piece of oak dates back to the civil war so I couldn't see it going on any other kit..

Here is a bit of history on Secession Hill in case you are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secession_Hill

sessionhill008.jpg

sessionhill015.jpg

hebertjo

Here is my entry. Elegant Beauty Sierra with black acrylic, zebrawood, aluminum and black & white lamination. The dots are 1/16" aluminum rod. It has a CA finish on it but my picture taking skills are so poor that you cannot tell!

Thanks,
hebetjo

Attachments

• IMG_5853.JPG
    IMG_5853.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 237

randywa

Here is my entry. Elegant Beauty Sierra with black acrylic, zebrawood, aluminum and black & white lamination. The dots are 1/16" aluminum rod. It has a CA finish on it but my picture taking skills are so poor that you cannot tell!

Thanks,
hebetjo

I entered one, but you got my vote.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the compliments. I think my next task to tackle is how to take decent photos!

That pen is a winner for sure. You did a good job laying it out and executing. Thanks for showing and yes you need just a tad bit better photo skills to really show that one off. That has front page potential.

JohnU

I was hesitant to post anything after seeing the previous pens. Great work guys! I spent the last week working on four new feather cigar pens ideas. It was a toss up which one I thought I should post but this one just keeps grabbing my attention. Its a Ringneck Pheasant Cigar pen. I thought the gold tip was too much on this kit so I switched it out for something a little less blinding. (still working on my photo skills...)

Attachments

• Cig Pheasant_800x422.JPG
    Cig Pheasant_800x422.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 214
1st Bash beautiful pen try.

Well with this being my first bash I have to say it is a lot of fun being able to participate in all of these contests.

My Contribution:

Atlas Ball Point Pen Kit Gold, Cocobolo wood, CA finish. Keep it simple and let the wood do the talking.

Jesse

Attachments

• DSCF1617.JPG
    DSCF1617.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 84

OKLAHOMAN

Maybe not the most beautiful but possibly the most unique, Gator Jaw bone with turquoise fill. Showing both sides.

IMG_2362-1.jpg

IMG_2363-1.jpg

Brooks803

Here is my entry for the contest. Black Ti Art Deco with Mocha Bake...Oops...I mean Fakelite :wink: Home cast that is :cool: I also replaced that ugly orange stone with one I turned myself.

Lots of great competition out there, best of luck to all!

Attachments

• 100_0195.jpg
    100_0195.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 100_0196.jpg
    100_0196.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 59

THarvey

Given the entries already shown, I am sure mine is far down the list. Cigar in Maple, Walnut and Padauk.

Attachments

• Cigar - Maple Walnut Padauk - Beautiful Pen Contest 2011.jpg
    Cigar - Maple Walnut Padauk - Beautiful Pen Contest 2011.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 86

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
well I had one that I was going to enter but after all these there is no way I can compete................... TONI should win

jttheclockman

I worked on my picture taking a bit, I still need to do a lot of work but at least I have a setup now.

1_2011_BPC.jpg

This to me is my clear cut favorite. Is there anyway to see more photos of this pen??? What was the materials used in the making of the blank???Thanks for entering and showing such a great looking pen.

hebertjo

I think I hit my limit of 2 photos so I can post more after the contest.

The wood used was cross cut zebrawood. The piece the pen is resting on is the left over. I wanted the zebra stripping to be consistent all the way around the pen so I cut 4 90* triangles out of the wood and then glued them back together so the grain on each piece ran perpendicular to the side. That may not be too clear but it avoids cathedral grain on 2 sides and tight stripping on the other two. Now I have tight stripping on all 4 sides.

The shiny stuff is all aluminum. sheet for the transitions and 1/16" rod for the dots. Simple solid black acrylic for the base and the scallops are from black and white lamination I got from CSUSA.

Texatdurango

well I had one that I was going to enter but after all these there is no way I can compete................... TONI should win

The problem with Toni's work is that we have become accustomed to her excellence in design which no one can match BUT.... the pen hebertjo submitted shows the most technical talent along with a striking design and in my opinion is the hands down winner so far.

So, the rest of you characters keep submitting your work in hopes of landing 2nd, 3rd, 4th or in Roy's case....... 22nd place :biggrin:

JohnU

It's not over yet folks. Theres are some beauties posted but always room for something to blow everyone away, so let's see those pens and good luck everyone!

JohnU

Me too but the contest isn't over yet and I dont want to see others discouraged to post. You never know what's being created and could be the new peoples choice.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Up against Heberjo,Toni and the nineteen others my only hope is one judge is blind and the other three have absolutely no taste for beauty.

soligen

The problem with Toni's work is that we have become accustomed to her excellence in design which no one can match BUT.... the pen hebertjo submitted shows the most technical talent along with a striking design and in my opinion is the hands down winner so far.

I dont think I'll know what pen I'll vote for until I actually press the vote button - this is an excellent competition. But, I'm not sure technical talent is what we should be judging. Given the _Beautiful_ pen contest. So I'm thinking that the vote should be for the pen what most speaks to me from an artistic beauty point of view.

I'm not intending to down play the technical talent displayed, I feel they show outstanding technical talent - just very different technical talents, so I'm inclined to just go on pure beauty. And, there are many outstanding entries in this thread.

Texatdurango

Me too but the contest isn't over yet and I dont want to see others discouraged to post. You never know what's being created and could be the new peoples choice.

You know, that's so true. Actually I flipped back through the pens again and the pen Marla made really stood out and the more I looked at it, the more I liked it.

Good job Marla, the blank really goes with that kit!

Crickett

You know, that's so true. Actually I flipped back through the pens again and the pen Marla made really stood out and the more I looked at it, the more I liked it.

Good job Marla, the blank really goes with that kit!

Thanks George, your kind words are nice to read. I'm new to the whole casting thing but I'm really enjoying it.

jttheclockman

Well so far it looks like I'm a shoe-in for 22nd place..:crying:

Oh I am sorry Roy, did you enter something??? I must have missed it.

Ok I just rechecked and yes you have nothing to worry about, you have 22nd place locked up. Hope they shut the contest soon. :biggrin:

qalien

Here's mine...gold cigar with 300+ individual hedgehog quills glued on one at a time and then cast in resin...

Attachments

• 100_1994.jpg
    100_1994.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 152

animefan

Congrats to everyone that has that entered the contest. Every entry is beautiful best of luck to everyone.

LarryDNJR

My submission. Feels lowkey to all the other awesome pens. Great work everyone.

Alumilite cast with pearlex pigments
JRGRII Black Titanium RB

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110217_113452.png
    ForumRunner_20110217_113452.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20110217_113506.png
    ForumRunner_20110217_113506.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 55

G1Pens

My Entry. I was working on another version of this, but will not have it done in time, so this is it.

Attachments

• IMG_5716a-web.jpg
    IMG_5716a-web.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5718a-web.jpg
    IMG_5718a-web.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 51
Top Bottom