The 2013 Classic Nib Wood Identification Contest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I'll try to enter as many as I can, but I think I can see where this is going... Or I'll get lucky! :biggrin:

robutacion

Time for some clues.

This tree is NOT NATIVE to Asia, Australia, The Americas.

Its BOUNTY is harvested approximately every 12 years.

Hahahah, you gave it away Bob...!

I only a few minutes ago discovered this contest and off-course I though straight away that, I have to keep myself out of this as it would be unfair to everyone else, as I supply "many" but not all the woods to Bob so.... damn.. sorry Bob, I'm giving away a major clue however, I know you have many timbers from all over so, that will be interesting and very informative allowing many people to learn a little about the gigantic world of tree wood identification...!

In regards to this first wood species, European Cork trees have they skin/bark removed every 9 years, this is the ideal amount of time to allow trees to reach the ideal bark thickness however, in times where the demand for cork was great, many plantations in countries like Portugal and Spain, have had that time limit reduced to 7 years, therefore removing the bark before it reached the ideal thickness, many old trees that have had their skin removed every 9 years for 100 years or more, didn't do to well with this certain yearly harvest, and endup dying.

Today, with the demand for cork being only a small fraction to what was a few decades ago, many of these trees/plantations have been puled out and replaced with others more in tune with what is on demand. Large areas have changed forever and the people and small industries that lived from the cork tree yield and processing, no longer exist, unfortunately...!

Good luck with the next one...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom