THE 2008 UGLY PEN CONTEST!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

Here is #2, I call it Penturner's nightmare!!!!!

2008117233226_yuck.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
I've been trying to figure out what to make for this particular contest.

As I was doing laundry today, it came to me! Eureka!

This exquisite dryer-lint pen is complete with pocket sawdust, washed-paper wads, run of the mill lint, and my personal favorite - four pounds of hair from my dog, who sheds perpetually.

I even found a sequin in there, which adds a nice sparkle. I also dropped the lower blank in my pile of padauk dust while I was gluing it up, which adds a little splash of color. Overall, I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

I went with the satin black enamel kit because I wanted to keep it elegant and not overpower the beauty of the blank.

Finish is CA/BLO. [:p]

For my next one, I'm going to go with Dust Bunny Burl. heh

UglyPenContest_DryerLint1_1.jpg

pianomanpj

Karl,
That has to be one of the scariest pens I'v ever seen. I'd go so far as to call it disturbing. If I ever saw you walking down the street with that lil' nightmare poking out of your shirt pocket, I would cross the street and walk on the other side. [}:)]
All said, you get my vote!! :D

Scott

Oh man, Karl! That is just nasty! The "hairyness" really puts it over the top! [:p]

Becca - that #2 pen of yours is great! I had a pen that looked like that once - I gave it to an enemy, and he fell ill and passed on shortly thereafter. Was it the pen? We'll never know for sure! [8D]

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

Karl,
Have you ever thought about casting a hairball from a cat?[xx(]
Mike

Strangely enough, that was one of the things that crossed my mind, one of our cats is like a factory for those things.

Problem is, I'm not the most patient person waiting for a blank to dry, and I really don't think I could get away with drying it in the microwave.

One whiff of cooking cat bile, and I'd end up making my own hairball.

Meaoowwwhurkkgh. [xx(]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Scott

Ugly Pens = big prizes! But not unless you show them! [8D]

Scott.

Some of these pens should never see the light of day. [xx(]

Do the "ugly" pens have to be "turned" originally or can you create something from "whatever" materials you can make conform to a barrel?

Mrs.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by thewishman

Karl, I don't want to lower the tone of this topic, but your lower barrel seems a bit proud of the nib and I think you may need some fresh CA.
GPNJ
Chris

Yeah, I don't really like that bushing to bushing look, though. Fresh CA is right. Used about a gallon on there, and I thought it was going to catch on fire it got so hot! Blecchh![:p]

Scott

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
Do the "ugly" pens have to be "turned" originally or can you create something from "whatever" materials you can make conform to a barrel?

Mrs.

Since this IS an "Ugly Pen Contest", lets not pretty it up by saying that they need to be turned! Lou's point is well made, the fact they can turn your stomach is close enough! The only true requirement I'm looking at is that it must needs be a "pen", that it should be theoretically able to write, if one were brave (or stupid) enough to touch it! If this "open up doorways" to you, then all I can say is beware what lies over the threshold!!! [:p][:p][:p]

Scott. [8D]

avbill

2008123222628_Ugly%20pen%20001%20.jpg

This is my ugly pen. Its ugly because it did not turn out the way i planned. Did not the way it felt afterwards. The detailed areas became to broad. and the finish My heart was not into it! at that point. But I did learn from it! :D

Bill Daniels

johncrane

Ok this is my ugly pen named Skull,don't ask me why, he was dug up from the grave my(warp brain)Skull comes dressed in a Rhodium Patriot and a chrome key ring with a retractable holder just clip Skull to your belt or your shirt pocket, and skull will just hang there for every one too see.

2008124111751_100_4382-1.jpg

2008124111823_100_4390-1.jpg

Scott

Who E-Mailed their entry to me? I have the picture, but I can't remember who sent it! I'm on a different computer, or I'd just look up the E-Mail. Thanks!

Scott.

Scott

Time is growing short! The Ugly Pen Contest ends this Sunday! Get out in the shop, or wherever you make these things, and get it done! Tick tock!

[8D]

Scott.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
From what I've seen here so far, I think that lint-ed-dog-hair pen is the uhm, best ugliest pen!

The beaded Lobster gets a second from me . . . I just don't know which second.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Ok, here's my entry. Ugly contest or not, I almost don't want to show this one - it was just a plain, ol' crappy first-try, mistake-pen! It was my first cigar, and I put the barrels on the wrong side, so the bushings don't match up...I had blow outs (see the nib end), and I really, really botched the finish...and the pen is permanently extended well beyond what it should be (see the nib end again)...Oh, and you can't see it, but I really gouged up the clip when I dropped it on my concrete floor!

Seriously embarrassing! But it sure is an ugly pen!

200812703322_pen.jpg

200812703342_bushing.jpg

200812703355_nib.jpg

Scott

Our friend, 1JaredSchmidt, found he could not post a picture of his ugly pen here for our contest. He sent the picture to me and I am posting it for him. Here is his description of the pen:

The bottom is aromatic cedar and the top is laminated bamboo.

200812715140_1jaredschmidt2.jpg

Good Luck Jared! It's pretty ugly!

Only one day left to submit your ugly pen! Come on! I know you have ugly pens. Don't cry alone in your shop, post them here and we'll all laugh together!

Scott.

sparhawk

O.k. Thanks to Karl for this one. Wasn't going to go down this path but after seeing his, saw only one option to compete. So here it is............. Catdebris burl.Straight from the litter box.(please dont confuse this with one of ED's "cat" blanks.:D)

200812722343_literpen.jpg

200812722423_literpen2.jpg

200812723237_rapen%20new.jpg

karlkuehn

Banned
*snnniiiiiiiffffff*

Ahhhh...what is that, Mountain Breeze? [:p]

The things some people will do to gross people out. What nerve!

I bet your hands don't get sweaty when you write with it! Be a good thing to market to the college kids during finals.

Another upside, if you keep it in your back pocket when you get stuck in traffic after four cups of coffee...erm...yeah, okay, too far, I know. [xx(]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by karlkuehn

*snnniiiiiiiffffff*

Ahhhh...what is that, Mountain Breeze? [:p]

The things some people will do to gross people out. What nerve!

I bet your hands don't get sweaty when you write with it! Be a good thing to market to the college kids during finals.

Another upside, if you keep it in your back pocket when you get stuck in traffic after four cups of coffee...erm...yeah, okay, too far, I know. [xx(]

Karl .. I said it before and I'll say it again .. I'll never have to worry for work with you around bud. . . you are one SICK puppy!!!

Nice to see ya back :D

[:X] Mrs.

Scott

LAST DAY!!!

This is it! Finish them up and get them posted!

Hint: Read the rules for the different categories. You may find a category that has less competition so far! (And I'm not talking about the "Most Disgusting" category!)

Scott.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Down out west where I live, we have these really big "water bugs." They're big roachs - black and BIG bugs! I hate 'em. Never know where they're going to be. They come in the back door when the cat's asleep.

So, I went to pick up this El Grande Pen . . .

tn_U_P_C_BEETLE_GRANDE_3.jpg

great12b4ever

I have tried and tried to make a special pen for this contest ever since it started, but alas, no success. Every pen I have made has turned out spectacular and claimed or bought by someone almost immediately, even before I had the chance to snap a picture and post it. I have tried 31 different pens and concepts for this and have sold them all. I am now $1,128.00 ahead in this endeavor and I want to thank whoeve started this contest for helping me to make this much with so little effort. I am a success!!!:D:D

Oops, just noticed the liars contest had closed. [:eek:)];)

Scott

This contest is now closed! Watch for the Judge's results to be posted on the 31st!

Thank you all for your wonderful entries! This has been fun!

Scott.

hillikus

I know the contest is closed but I thought some people may still laugh at me. I'm new to turning so I still don't have a complete setup and this is what I came up with. I turned this between centers and didn't even use any bushings or a kit. Of course I don't have a mandrel or bushings yet..but you see what I'm saying.

Image Insert:
20081292036_ugly1.jpg

Top Bottom