Thanks to this community...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russ_Gray

Russ_Gray

As a newb, this has been a labor of love. I've lived in the posts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I started with wobble, and then turning marks, then blowouts, then...

I sharpened tools and went back to basics. I Simplified my finish technique with a dab of patience added... and this is the result.

A coworker gave me the white oak stick behind it and I made a pen.

The only complaint is that the cap is a tad lopsided. As an engineer by trade, it was irritating until I measured the cap. It is lopsided. Since it is from Crooked Mill, it seemed appropriate. At least it wasn't something I did.

I think he will be happy with it...

Thank you to the die hards that gave advice to those us in the struggle.
9ea00832cbb59ca4e2c99d00f475d0be.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Welcome Russ, from Sydney Australia.
Nice Pen.
We all have a lot of learning to do.
Every day I open this site, and there are a lot of Fantastic Pieces of Work, New Materials, Techniques, all attack my Interest.
Almost to the stage where you begin to wonder if I can retain all this Information.
That is a part of the Wonder of this Craft, it is continually Growing, from the Efforts of it's Members, and their willingness to Share Information.
Brian.

Russ_Gray

Thanks Brian,

It is definitely a journey and I'm humbled by the willingness to help by the members of this community.

No man is an island and a burden shared is lessened by the charity of others.

Russ

leehljp

Member Liaison
Russ,

As you progress, and some of your mentors age a little :rolleyes: :eek::biggrin:, your memory of your experiences are a lot fresher than those that mentored you. Pass it on.

I have watched this progression countless times here. You are the trainer for tomorrow.

magpens

Nice pen !!!

Thanks for mentioning Crooked Mill !

That's another source of goodies added to my arsenal.

Top Bottom