Thanks to All of YOU!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I tried turning a pen last May to justify having a lathe. Now...here we are 7 months later. In the past 6 weeks I've sold (accidently!!) 51 pens, made another 10 or so for gifts, 3 for charity auctions, and several ornaments. If it wasn't our busy season at work (probably averaging 55+ hours/week there), it might have been a bit more manageable.

In May, when it took probably 6 or 7 hours each to make my first few pens, I'd read about people making 5 or 6 in a day and could not fathom it. Last Saturday I made 7, yesterday I turned the last 8 blanks for an order and assembled 35.

Some of the gift pens have personal connections/stories beyond just being hand-made...an honor I don't take lightly. An order of 7 pens for a co-worker using cherry cut on his property triggered my using maple from my land for my sons. And my sisters will have a piece of my Dad's shop to carry with them.

If not for this group, I would not have progressed as well as I have, and i'd just like to thank you for all the knowledge, support and encouragement you've provided. Looking forward to 2018!!
earl

magpens

Thank you for contributing !! . You certainly have made rapid progress in the hobby/craft

greenacres2

Thanks Mal--I've learned a lot from you and many others. One of the best lessons was from OzTurner whose comment on a really fat cigar pen was "do not be afraid of the bushings"--challenged me to turn to good proportions.

Back to turning wood for a while--tired of acrylics. Did a lacewood on a "Monarch" before church this morning, and have Chicago Cubs colored Spectra-Ply trimline with the finish drying now.

Merry Christmas!!!
earl

Top Bottom