Texas ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

I befriended a guy who owns a tree service. He saved me some Texas Ebony and some Mesquite. How do these turn? I have two 8" diameter by 18 inch chunks of ebony, and one 18" diameter by 18 chunk. Also an 8" by 36" chunk of mesquite.

Sharon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbuckley52

Texas Ebony is great, beautiful wood and pretty stable. wish I had access to that much.

Mesquite is plentiful and turns great and is very stable. It is a beautiful wood when finished.

It effects my asthma even with a dual filter respirator on, but I still like it once in a while.

I have access to some logs I am going to cut up into pen blanks and try and sell.

David Keller

Both turn very well. I've had a little trouble with finishing the Texas ebony... Maybe someone will weigh in with a trick or two.

TXPhi67

I've found the Texas Ebony to be very similar to ironwood (I think they are in the same family).

So, the technique that seems to work pretty good for me is to sand/polish it all the way out to 12,000 MM cleaning carefully between each grit. DNA works pretty good here.

For a high gloss, CA tends to work best as the finish. But, I normally I will use TSW as I tend to have a more consistent finish (less clouding of the finish) and usually takes a less time. Also, I just really like the way TSW feels in the hand.

Hope that helps.

jskeen

Texas ebony is indeed beautiful turning material. It can be turned green for bowls and spindle work if it is turned oversized, dried, and then turned to final size. There are several formulas for bowls that give thickness vs diameter. If it is slabbed it will dry quicker, but should probably be stacked with spacers and some weight on top to minimize warping. If you want to wait a couple of years, you could just paint the ends of the logs and let it dry the hard way. Using paint or anchorseal on the ends will minimize checking at the end grain in either case.

Mesquite is beautiful, very dimensionally stable and has very little distortion while drying, it is a favorite of production bowl turners and those who use bowl saver tools, because it can be wet turned fairly thin, and will warp very little while drying.

Both work nicely when dried for penturners, but really do need to be dried, either naturally or by any of the methods that have been mentioned in other threads. Mesquite, for whatever reason tends to cloud ca finishes for me too.

sbwertz

It is already dry, and the ends are pretty checked, but the checking doesn't go very deep. Beggars can't be choosers! He offered it to me and I gladly took it, checks and all!

Sharon

sbwertz

OMG! I believe the texas ebony is related to ironwood! I finally got the smallest piece cut in half and one half split lengthwise. The heartwood is deep black with slightly lighter grain. It is absolutely beautiful, but HARD AS A ROCK! I tried to cut it with the most aggressive recipro saw blade I have, and it just made a dent. I was finally able to cut it with my small chainsaw, but I think I will have to sharpen the chain before I can cut anytihng else. It just laughed at the little 3 wheel bandsaw I have. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a real bandsaw :biggrin:

The heartwood is about 3 1/2 inches across in an 8" log. The sapwood is very light. It might be interesting to turn a pen that is right on the edge of the sapwood.

Sharon

sbwertz

I now have a section of texas ebony that is 8" in diameter and about 10 inches long. I'm considering mounting it between centers and turning off the sapwood to make a piece about 4" in diameter that my bandsaw or table saw can handle.

Does that sound reasonable? This is the first time I've had to deal with wood this big that is also this hard. I have some peach and mulberry that I got in big pieces, but it was not as hard as this stuff! The mulberry I split with an ax to get some small pieces to cut up, but I have tons of mulberry and if I ruined a piece with the ax, there was plenty more. I am reluctant to take an ax to the ebony!

Sharon

sbwertz

Thanks for the link. Mine is darker than those. It is a deep black with some slightly lighter gray grain. It is sure hard stuff!

lazyguy

I love both. Mesquite can be very interesting and turns very well. The Texas Ebony can be just plain beautiful especially if you can cut your blanks with both sap and heartwood in one blank.

Top Bottom