Texas Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

Very happy with how this piece of Texas Ebony turned out. Really rich brown and cream colors. Ended up with a pesky little crack that showed up after assembly, but was able to hide it under the clip, not my favorite thing to do, but it worked.

Attachments

• PSX_20171124_164347.jpg
    PSX_20171124_164347.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 292
  • PSX_20171124_164259.jpg
    PSX_20171124_164259.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 259
  • PSX_20171124_164232.jpg
    PSX_20171124_164232.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 308
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice going, Sam ... that wood sure makes a nice pen !!! . I'd like to get my hands on some Texas Ebony.

More4dan

Very nice pen! I've turned some Texas Ebony. Beautiful wood that polished nicely. I've used it for bolt actions and Civil War pens from PSI. Didn't require a top coat, just sanding and buffing.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Very nice pen! I've turned some Texas Ebony. Beautiful wood that polished nicely. I've used it for bolt actions and Civil War pens from PSI. Didn't require a top coat, just sanding and buffing.

I did a CA finish, but as you say, it probably didn't need it. I have turned some Lignum vitae and it's surprisingly similar as weight and hardness go. Colors are obviously different and LV is a little more oily, but both are rediculously hard.

Dehn0045

Nice going, Sam ... that wood sure makes a nice pen !!! . I'd like to get my hands on some Texas Ebony.

I'd offer you some of mine, but I really don't have much to spare. One place that it is usually available online is Texas Woodcrafts - Wood, Lumber, Turning Blanks For Sale although the price for pen blanks is a a little high in my opinion. Otherwise you can get one-off blanks from eBay and cut blanks, but beware that the wood tends to be wormy (must be some badass worms) so yield may be low.

magpens

Thanks for the link Sam. They have some nice pieces.

Wouldn't think of "stealing" yours !! :biggrin:

Dehn0045

Very pretty and good finish.
I have never heard of Texas Ebony. Is it known by any other name also?

Never heard it called anything else. It isn't harvested commercially, other than the link that I've posted I haven't seen it available sale, other than single blanks on eBay/Craigslist. It grows down by the Mexico border, Brownsville area, even in Houston the specialty stores don't carry it normally. Here is a link with some more info Texas Ebony | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwood)

MRDucks2

I've found it at Woodcraft in Southwest Houston.

Loved that Woodcraft. Much more room and better organized than the one off 1960 & 45 on the North Side, plus they pull the sale stuff up front and have a good clearance area. The one on the North side sometimes has some better wood bargains, though.

Paul in OKC

Nice pen. Many years ago I had a pastor give me a piece of the root from a Texas ebony tree the got knocked over in a storm. It was from the first church he was pastor. Said it had sat on the shelf long enough, and asked me to make him a pen. He still wanted some for the shelf, but let me have a little in return :). It is pretty.

Top Bottom