Texas Bluebonnet Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a Sierra I recently made. It is made with dried Texas Bluebonnets (the state flower of Texas!) cast in Alumilite clear resin with the inside of the blanks painted a taupe color. The kit is a black titanium with titanium gold trim Sierra.

This was mainly a proof of concept pen to see if my idea would work. The next one will have more flowers in it and will use a white background. Obviously the flower in the pic is a Bluebonnet. Tell me what you think, good or bad!

200747204620_Bluebonnet1.jpg

200747204643_Bluebonnet2.jpg

20074720474_Bluebonnet3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

That's pretty cool. Until I read the description, I thought someone painted little dolphins on the tube.[:D] Looks pretty cool, but wondering if you could get the flower petals to look a bit more alive?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Originally posted by Fishshooter
<br />or are you taking a chance picking them roadside???

Don, I assume you are referring to the common myth that it is illegal to pick bluebonnets in Texas? If so, this is certainly a myth. If it was not, you would not be able to cut down pecan trees since they are the state tree and you would not be able to destroy prickly pear cactus since it is the state plant!

Anyway, here is a quote that should clear this up
is it really illegal to pick bluebonnets?
The answer is no - there is no law against picking our State Flower.
source: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/director_staff/public_information/pr032602.htm
Texas Department of Public Safety

workinforwood

Originally posted by HotJoe
<br />Well - great concept and well executed. Let's see .. 50 states .. 50 state flowers - limited edition set 100 pens to an edition ... 5000 pens .. you better get busy.

You do realize that the state flower of Michigan is a welfare cheque, right?!?!

I love this pen too...definitely a winner and perfect just the way it is. Makes me want to try and cast one too.

RaisinCain

Great pen! I tried this about 5-6 months ago with crepe myrtle flowers and got horrible results; you have done a great job here (as usual). Thank you for sharing all of your unique ideas![:)]

Curtis,
Excellent choice of flowers... I missed the bluebonnets again this year.. LOML and I always made a trek when we were in Houston to see the BB's.. Actually thinking about trying to grow some in TN.. I think she has a packet of seeds.

TAld

Now that pen is just gorgeous!!!!!!!! I like it like it is; however, it will be interesting to see it on the white background. I think it may make the flowers more pronounced.

Randy_

Originally posted by UKpenmaker
<br />Another great pen, i think i agree with the others in that too many flowers may make it look a bit fussy, i also like the colour used in the tube, it seems to blend in with flowers nicely.

I would not discourage you from experimenting with this concept; however, I agree with Andrew that you got it right the first time and finding a way to improve it will be tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom