Texans having fun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
When I was just a little guy - pre schooler - my dad raised hogs as his cash crop... we were share croppers in those days and the hogs were an easy way to make a little extra cash. He had an old sow that was one of his best producers, she would have 10-14 pigs per litter, but she was also the meanest thing on four legs.... anything that landed in her pen was fair game... chickens, puppies, other pigs, or Dad.... he always fed her from the outside, but if he did have to go into the pen, he took a small log with him to bat her away...

Justturnin

Amazing. That is the only way to do it. My Inlaws have 150 acres is east Texas and the hogs destroy their pastures. We set out traps and will catch 3-4 at a time but that is almost a joke compared to the sheer numbers they have out there. What is crazy i that as many as they have I have never seen one out. These are nocturnal (sp?) creatures and they do casue a LOT of damage.

We have had trouble with them on one of my Grandpa's places. It is perfect. When it is cold with the wind from the north we send dogs an horses in from the south and wait in the huge field to the north with trucks. In the brush we can not touch them but in the field they can not out run us. We have killed over 70 hogs from that one place in less than a month. The can make a field in passable except on horseback. We have to plow in a lower gear using tons more fuel. This is money well spent.

Top Bottom