Tenon / Recess Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I got this idea from a YouTube video by Mike Peace. The tool is used to cut a Tenon or Recess into the bottom of a bowl form for gripping in the dovetail jaws of a chuck. It is usually necessary to remove the tail stock support when cutting the tenon or recess, but this tool cuts a perfect gripping surface every time!

This tool can be made from an old skew that is too short. A 1/2 - 3/4" square (not oval) skew is preferred. Grind off the bevel points of the skew and grind the flat at about a 45° angle. A recess is cut using the notch in the bottom of the skew with a pull cut. A tenon is cut with the upper angle with a push cut. Match the angle of your dove tail jaws. Then cut the upper angle to match the tenon angle of your jaws. A negative rake can be ground into the top surface of the tool if desired. Cut the tenon/recess with the tool on the tool rest just slightly below center line and held horizontally.

With this tool I can cut a perfect 3/16" tenon into the bottom of a bowl form.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

If you are into making your own tools this is a great idea will save you from buying a scraper. I can and do the same thing using either my 1/2" skew, parting tool, gouge.

Top Bottom