Tenon Cutting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schneider

Just got a 1/16 tenon cutting tool from wood turningz. Am going to try and make a designer pen. Any pointers as to the best way to use the cutting tool would be appreciated. My first tenon and first designer pen. I have only been making slimline pens. It's time to move on. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clewless

I recommend the PKMONT-BUX center ushing for the designer pens. It works for Berea and PSI kits and probably for CSUSA but haven't tried it there.

They say 7/32 for the tenon width. I make it 5-6/32. That way the end of the lower tube is recessed a little within the finish bushing that goes on the tenon...also be sparing with the CA when you put the bushing on the tenon, you don't want squeese out to ruin the bushing or finish...DAHIKT [B)][:(]

I like the 1/16 Parting Tool for tenon cutting on the Flat top American/Series 2000 but use the 1/8 or 3/16 PT for the designer...the BUX makes it easy and you don't put a good fitting at risk. YMMV

Pipes

On the Berea Kits I find it simpler to just size the top blank with there gauge they sell and a belt sander ! But thats me ! I can cut a tennon do it all the time for pipe stems BUT I do what is easier for me at the time and that saves me time ! just IMHO only now ![:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

OSCAR15

Hey..Jerry...Tenons are easy! first take the advice given as to practicing on scrap first.
Second, I don't use tenon cutting tool..Dont know what it is, but i am sure it works. I always have just used a parting tool (diamond shape tip).
Measure carefully as you only get one chance!....Put pencil to point measured and turn on lathe to draw a line around barrel where tenon is to be cut...A helper here is good unless you have three hands! MEASURE AGAIN!!!!
It is critical for good fit that the tool be perpendicular to blank...If you cut tenon at a slight angle, parts will not fit good. Bring tool into turning blank carefully and straight. I typically start at line i drew (be sure to cut off from side of lin, not on it! Move chisel to take any more needed. Also, start a little shy of mark. You can always come back to take more, but too much and your blank is ruined! PS...Slimlines (although recommended as good first pen) is far from the easiest!!!!! If you mastered them, you should be able to turn most others with ease. Cigars are popular, easy to turn and make a good pen to do. Good Luck....YOu should do just fine! OSCAR

Schneider

Thanks everyone. I will practice on scrap and also with a parting tool. I guess I should try a cigar pen next and get the bushing for tenon. Thanks again.

Dario

Jerry,

As advised...practice.

Here's how I do it (almost just as Oscar described).

Get a measuring device, preferably a caliper of any type and set that to your target diameter. Note that with softer wood you might want to make it a bit thicker, they will compress and give you more snug fit during assembly. harder woods are a bit trickier and you need to be closer to the actual size.

I always cut my tenon after turning to dimension and sanding BUT before the final sanding. Mark your final target line. DO NOT cut there...cut about 1/32" into the tenon side. Cut a line with the skew pointy side down (this will raise the wood on both sides a bit). Cut the tenon with parting tool, always checking with the caliper. After the tenon is done, use the skew and cut the extra 1/32" off, without wood on the tenon side, it should cut really easily and not create the burge you had during the initial cut.

Note:
1. While presssing in the center band, stop on the last 1/8" or so and inspect that the band didn't "shave" the tenon. If it did, make sure you clean it before you press it in totally. It won't be easy to clean it and get a nice fit afterwards.
2. IF you over cut the tenon, don't despair, you can easily build it up with thick CA and cut again with parting tool to make sure you have a smooth round surface.
3. Did I mention always measure with caliper?

After that is done proceed as normal. Sand and apply your finish.

Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom