Temporary Fix For Turning Withdrawl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

The price of heating my shop for the winter skyrocketed so I found it not pracatical to heat it in the cold winter monts and I have taken up pyrography as an intermediate hobby to do in the warm house in the cold winter months .
After cold weather and blowing snow with my snow blower we finally got a real mild spell and a day of rain. Up to 5 degrees celcius and all the snow is gone. (An early Jan thaw ? ) A perfect time to heat the shop for a day and make something on my lathe and get a little turning withdrawl fix. .
The wood was laminated from some pieces that were given to me by a friend. I started guing up the wood night before last , let it cure overnight , and turned and finished it yesterday .

Well, for better or worse here it is .
I have mixed feelings about the shape and design but my wife said if it doesn't go for a good price a a craft sale she is going to claim it.
Coke can is for size reference. .
Took almost a day to make it including laminating of the wood through turning , sanding , and final finishing.

LampJan022010-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Is it a lamp?

WOW , it must be REALLY bad if it cannot be recognized as a lamp :eek:.

Perhaps some lamp hardware and a shade on it would help after I get to the hardware store and buy those parts :biggrin:

In case anyone wondered what the hole is for in the center , bottom , of the right side, that will be where the cord will come out of.
The hole in the very top will be for the piece of 3/8" threaded brass lamp rod used to screw on the rest of the lamp hardware. . That hole is drilled all the way through from top to bottom.

Last edited:

bitshird

Bill, I think it's a great lamp base, it seemed easy enough to tell what it is by the hole in the top, What type drill did you use, since it looks to be about 14 inches tall??

W.Y.

Bill, I think it's a great lamp base, it seemed easy enough to tell what it is by the hole in the top, What type drill did you use, since it looks to be about 14 inches tall??

Hi Ken.
I am still chuckling about the guessing game that some had :biggrin:.

I have a 18" long x 3/8" drill . I think the style of the drill is called a ships auger if you know what I mean. It is "supposed" to drill straighter than an ordinary HSS bit.
I put the drill through the 3/8" hollow center of my tail stock .
Yes, you guessed right. It is exactly 14" tall and weighs in at just under 5 pounds. In spite of getting lined up through the tailstock and starting off dead center there was still some drift in that length of a hole so it did not come out dead centre in the bottom .

BTW.
Off topic but this site has always saved my name and password over many years but today it is wanting me to log in for every reply even though I check the box to save it.

Last edited:

W.Y.

It is a pepper mill?Right. Todd

Yep . . . it's a peppermill . A big 5 pound one used by giants and cavemen . :tongue:

You pour the pepper balls in the little hole in the top. Then you stick a 3/8" steel rod in there and pound up and down on it. Then tip it sideways so the crushed pepper comes out of the hole in the side of the base. :biggrin::):biggrin:

glycerine

No, it looks good. In my defense, I'm new to the lathe and haven't turned too many items. It does look like a lamp, I just didn't want to say "nice lamp" and it be something else!
So how does the bit through the tailstock work? I have a 76mm artillery shell that I want to turn a "bullet" for and was thinking about making a lamp out of it. I wasn't sure how I as going to drill a hole all the way through the middle...

WOW , it must be REALLY bad if it cannot be recognized as a lamp :eek:.

Perhaps some lamp hardware and a shade on it would help after I get to the hardware store and buy those parts :biggrin:

In case anyone wondered what the hole is for in the center , bottom , of the right side, that will be where the cord will come out of.
The hole in the very top will be for the piece of 3/8" threaded brass lamp rod used to screw on the rest of the lamp hardware. . That hole is drilled all the way through from top to bottom.

W.Y.

No, it looks good. In my defense, I'm new to the lathe and haven't turned too many items. It does look like a lamp, I just didn't want to say "nice lamp" and it be something else!
So how does the bit through the tailstock work? I have a 76mm artillery shell that I want to turn a "bullet" for and was thinking about making a lamp out of it. I wasn't sure how I as going to drill a hole all the way through the middle...

No problem.
A few of us had some fun kidding around about it.

Most lathes have a 3/8" hole right through the center of the tailstock . Some of the off brand mini lathes might not .
With the piece to be drilled in the head stock and a loooong drill through the hole in the tail stock it all lines up nicely and you just push the drill in as far as it will go . Of course you loose the drilling depth proporionate to the length of your tail stock.
If the drill bit is not long enough to go all the way through then take it out of the tail stock after bottoming out against it and move the tailstock back out of the way on a long bed lathe like I did or take the tailstock completely off of a short bed lathe. The partial hole already drilled creates a good centered pilot hole to put the drill back into and finish the drilling .
I had no problem using a 18" long drill bit on a 14" long lamp blank.

glycerine

ok, thanks!

No problem.
A few of us had some fun kidding around about it.

Most lathes have a 3/8" hole right through the center of the tailstock . Some of the off brand mini lathes might not .
With the piece to be drilled in the head stock and a loooong drill through the hole in the tail stock it all lines up nicely and you just push the drill in as far as it will go . Of course you loose the drilling depth proporionate to the length of your tail stock.
If the drill bit is not long enough to go all the way through then take it out of the tail stock after bottoming out against it and move the tailstock back out of the way on a long bed lathe like I did or take the tailstock completely off of a short bed lathe. The partial hole already drilled creates a good centered pilot hole to put the drill back into and finish the drilling .
I had no problem using a 18" long drill bit on a 14" long lamp blank.

bgibb42

That looks really nice. Is it one piece, or is the base separate from the rest of the turning?

johnnycnc

William, that is a FINE looking lamp. I really like that segmenting,
and your lamps shape.
are you retired? If so, how did you ever find time to work with all
these great ideas in your head?:)

Dan26

Great job! Just don't show the wife or she may not let you try to sell it. My wife has already swiped some of by better pens.

W.Y.

William, that is a FINE looking lamp. I really like that segmenting,
and your lamps shape.
are you retired? If so, how did you ever find time to work with all
these great ideas in your head?:)

Thanks for the replies from everyone.

Yes , I am retired which makes it the busiest time of my life . :biggrin:

Click on my PictureTrail link below and you will see just a small sampling of a few kinds of woodworking I have done since I retired at age 65 . That PictureTrail site is maxed out without paying for more space so the rest of my photos are on other hosting sites and throughout my computer.

Yep . . . it's a peppermill . A big 5 pound one used by giants and cavemen . :tongue:

You pour the pepper balls in the little hole in the top. Then you stick a 3/8" steel rod in there and pound up and down on it. Then tip it sideways so the crushed pepper comes out of the hole in the side of the base. :biggrin::):biggrin:

That a genuine crush grind... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

marter1229

That lamp is fantastic. What a difference when it has all the trimmings.

By the way I bought a new snow blower this year, so we will have a mild winter.
You will be turning again real soon.

Terry

Top Bottom