Tellurium Copper Artisan Jr Gent ll

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yort81

yort81

This is going to be a gift to one of my son's karate instructors, who always has extra time for him. She just passed her 3rd degree black belt. She definitely is an inspiration.

The body is made from Tellurium Copper Rod... the kit is an Artisan Jr. Gent ll....Black Titanium and postable. (also it has a thin CA finish...but im not happy with it)

I find that the metal pens...Aluminum, Copper, Bronze~Aluminum & Brass pens have a severe tendency to Scuff, Scratch and show finger prints very badly... Ive done both very very shiney finish and brushed finish... but to no avail... the CA im still trying to work out with the metal pens...and it's been frustrating to say the least...so if someone has any tips...I could sure use them.

AND as always... your comments (good or helpful) are most appreciated! :)

Attachments

• DSCN5576•-1.jpg
    DSCN5576•-1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN5578•-1.jpg
    DSCN5578•-1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN5577•-1.jpg
    DSCN5577•-1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN5573•-1.jpg
    DSCN5573•-1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN5581•-1.jpg
    DSCN5581•-1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Beautiful pen, Troy! I've had the same issues with scuffing. I finally bought a powder coat system and now coat with clear. So far, that works better than anything I've tried.

toyotaman

Excellent pen. Congrats on the test also. My daughter will be taking her 2nd degree karate test this year. I made a pen for her instructor a while back and I added the karate logo on it. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture at the time.

SDB777

Was wondering if the copper would tarnish over time on this piece?

Clearcoating sounds like a cool idea...

I might need to find some soft metal to try, any tips on what not to do when someone makes the jump??

Scott (BTW, love the concept of this turningz) B

yort81

Andy/PenMan1 ~ Im going to have to look into a powder coat system....I love these metal pens.... but the scuffing and scratching make them look worn and used very very quickly

Scott/SDB777 ~ Yes..they DO tarnish very quickly when you use them if you dont have a protective film on them....I've heard of the powder coating...but Ive never really checked into it.....on this one...ive used Thin CA and put on 3 coats and lightly sanded it... then a buff on Beall buffing system...im not entirely happy with it..but it still looks good.

Thank you all for the kind words :~):)

The Penguin

if you aren't happy with it - I'd be glad to send you my address, send me the pen, and I'll be happy to have it.

:biggrin:

yort81

Scott...forgive me, i forgot to answer one of your questions....

Turning the softer metals like this is JUST like turning wood... Drill the hole...glue the tubes in.. mount it up on your bushings and put it on your mandrel.

I buy my metal in Rods from OnlineMetals.com.

The Aluminum cuts almost as fast as wood with regular HS tools... the Copper and 360 Brass are a bit harder to cut....but with light passes and regular sharpening...it moves along...and they look awesome.... the Bronze/Aluminum and Stainless are pretty hard to cut with regular lathe tools... and, i think they NEED carbide tools or metal cutters with carbide or Cobalt.

Troy

Jim Burr

Banned
This is just down right cool! Even if you don't have the finish down...it is a great job that a lot of folks won't have a lash at! Based on your results...well worth a shot!

yort81

Joe...you are too right....OnlineMetals.com is the best.....and they dont have a minimum either! (I am using a cobalt metal cutter instead of carbide)

Jim...thank you! :):) I think im going to look into a powder coating system like PenMan1 suggested... the CA glue is great for wood...but the metal has some unique circumstances and difficulties.

yort81

Andy..I have a question for you on the powder coating....for these metal pens...I still glue in the brass tubes with thick CA... when you powder coat....they are saying that you have to bake that at 400º and the powder liquifies... will that affect the glued in tube? Is there another adhesive that needs to be used ?

Thank You!

Troy

Top Bottom