Teamwork!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lyonsacc

lyonsacc

Okay, I know it is the wrong season for this, but someone asked me to make it for a Christmas gift for a family member that is a big Reds fan.

As for the teamwork on this pen:
The poly clay baseball cap is one of Bill Bettag's (from Classic), and I asked Jonathan Brooks to make a few blanks for the specific colors on the body. Thanks guys!

This is the second pen like this that I have made and the joints are much better on this one. This is the first time I drilled the blanks on the lathe and it went really well. I will likely switch to using the lathe for drilling for most of my future pen work. I "built" the segments on the tube. First I glued the white center piece on then squared up the ends with a square carbide cutter. Next I cut 2 thin red pieces, trued their ends up with a sanding jig (rherell's), glued them on each side of the white piece, then trued up the other side with the square carbide cutter. Repeated that with thin black pieces, and then the final red pieces. I did one layer/color per day to allow the glue to dry well. Then added the red finial. It was a fun pen to build.

12-7-15 022 2.jpg

12-7-15 024 2.jpg

12-7-15 027 2.jpg

12-7-15 029 2.jpg

This is only the 5th pen I've managed to make this year (and probably the last one for the year). Family, work, and a crud load of medical issues have taken a lot of time this year.

I had a little fun using the baseball in the pictures (I don't usually use props). I bought a new camera earlier this year. My pen pics were starting to improve, but then I didn't make many pens and I seem to have forgotten how to make the manual adjustments on the camera. I'll have to look around for the instruction manual again . . .

Thanks for looking,
Dave

Charlie_W

Dave,
I would say you hit that one out of the park!
Wonderful design and execution too.

Thumbs up to Bill and Jonathon as well.
Yes, many of our pens are teamwork and that makes them special.

Be well!

Top Bottom