Teachers pen kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hturnings

I've been having problems with the ink on the teachers pen kits. I had some that were on the shelf for several months and when I put them together the red ink didn't work. I bought some new ones and had the same problems. Red and Black ink didn't work very well from the new batch. I would expect the old ones not to work well but new batch was a let down. Anybody else have problems with these? Anybody have a good supplier? Is there a trick I'm missing, some pre-installing dance I must do?

thanks in advance

Jim H

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

livertrans

I had the same problem. We must of purchased from the same seller. Next time buy them from PSI and your red ink will not be dried out .PSI red refills are ok also.

hilltopper46

I've got the same issue with PSI kits. I haven't tried replacing with the refills I got on the same order yet. Tomorrow is my first show for 2010 - I'll see then whether or not the refills are any good.

I had the same problem. We must of purchased from the same seller. Next time buy them from PSI and your red ink will not be dried out .PSI red refills are ok also.

THarvey

I had a similar problem and noticed some wax around the ball point. Applied a little heat from a lighter and the ink started flowing smoothly.

I will second the comment about PSI. I keep PSI teacher refills on hand. Keep them in a zip lock bag to avoid excess air exposure.

There is not a lot of ink in the teacher pens. I usually give one refill set with each pen.

RDH79

I also do what Tim H said. I use a lighter and heat the tip for a second and they always start to work. 90% of the time it is the red.

Muggsy1776

Mine worked fine, the problem I had was the brass tube in the middle was too short. When both pens were installed in the closed position they hit each other in the middle of the tube causing about a quarter inch gap on one end. I had to double up the center rings to make them fit. I'm working on a second kit right now and have replaced the center brass tube with a longer one and it works just fine.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Nope, I have had the same issue with red, green and black ink from PSI. Not sure if there is a fix.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I had a similar problem and noticed some wax around the ball point. Applied a little heat from a lighter and the ink started flowing smoothly.

I will second the comment about PSI. I keep PSI teacher refills on hand. Keep them in a zip lock bag to avoid excess air exposure.

There is not a lot of ink in the teacher pens. I usually give one refill set with each pen.
You know what...that makes perfect sense, the "wax" is likely coagulated ink and getting the tip clear lets ink flow again. It probably actually saves the refill by blocking air from the rest of the ink. Thank you, I think you've solved a problem for me and my customers.

You know what...that makes perfect sense, the "wax" is likely coagulated ink and getting the tip clear lets ink flow again. It probably actually saves the refill by blocking air from the rest of the ink. Thank you, I think you've solved a problem for me and my customers.

I've bought some kits in which the tips of the refills looked as if they were dipped in a tar like substance... to keep the ink from drying??.. I have to flake it off when I install the refills... haven't noticed on the teacher's pens... I buy from Woodturningz (I know they are PSI kits, but good service from Bryan and gang..).. The lighter trick works if you don't get them too hot and also a little hot water will melt the dried ink.

Top Bottom