Taste Bud Suicide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bear-31

I haven't tried them, but I'm attempting to grow them next year. I have tried Habaneros a couple times...don't learn very fast, and consider them to be to hot to eat. A ghost (Bhut Jolokia) is supposed to be 10 times hotter than a Habanero. I dry all of my habaneros and use them for seasoning chili and beef jerky. Just handling the powder has put me into pain. I can't imagine me being dumb enought o try a ghost pepper...but like I said, I don't learn too quickly.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I have a chili pen that Dawn made.... (I'm sure nowhere as bad as ghost chillis) .... and someday I will have the guts to turn it!

Just the thought of any possibility of that dust going in the wrong place is scary!

Jmhoff10500

Me either, that why i just bought some off eBay even though the hottest thing i have ever had is a jalapeño...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I haven't tried them, but I'm attempting to grow them next year. I have tried Habaneros a couple times...don't learn very fast, and consider them to be to hot to eat. A ghost (Bhut Jolokia) is supposed to be 10 times hotter than a Habanero. I dry all of my habaneros and use them for seasoning chili and beef jerky. Just handling the powder has put me into pain. I can't imagine me being dumb enought o try a ghost pepper...but like I said, I don't learn too quickly.

IPD_Mrs

I'm gonna guess that my parrots would LOVE them. They eat habaneros like candy. I can guarantee you though .. they wouldn't get any little birdie kisses after eating one of those suckers!!!

PenMan1

I have a chili pen that Dawn made.... (I'm sure nowhere as bad as ghost chillis) .... and someday I will have the guts to turn it!

Just the thought of any possibility of that dust going in the wrong place is scary!

Dean:
Thanks for not going into detail about all of "the wrong places", but just the thought of those places has caused me to rethink turning pepper blanks :)

Rfturner

to give you an idea of how hot this pepper is Green tabasco sauce is 500-1000 on the scoville scale, Habanero is 100K-500K now the Ghost chili pepper registers around 1,000,000 at least twice more than the habanero. The indian gov. is looking into it for miltary applications such as tear gas, and pepper spray. I like food hot but I think I will leave that one alone:ghost:

jaywood1207

The owner of the lab we use for testing is big into hot sauce and hands this one out wherever he goes. http://www.hotsauceworld.com/sponcomhotsa.html I have a bottle in the fridge that will last me a lifetime. When I want a little heat I will add about a drop which is plenty.

He also has this one but isn't so free with handing it out. He actually has a waiver you have to sign if you want a bottle just to protect himself in case somebody decides to try and be a hero and hurts themselves. It is listed as 4000000 on the Scoville scale.
http://www.hotsauceworld.com/maddog44mape.html

Chasper

Lay a 1/8 inch thick steel plate your outdoor grill, 12 X12 inches is more than big enough. Get it good and hot and lay the ghost chilis on top of it. Dont bother cutting them open and scraping the seeds first, you will just burn your fingers and eyes. As they cook they will turn black. By the time they are mostly black all over they are ready. With rubber gloves on peel off the outside layer of black and inside the meat of the chili will be soft and pulpy. Cut them open and scrape out the seeds and gather your courage. When I eat one I break out in sweat, my ears ring; its an overall capsaicin stupor, but they are memorable.

Cooking and peeling off the outer membrane reduces the scoville rating by at least half. Equally important, when you cut it and it is soft and pulpy tiny little drops of juice get into the air, your eyes will burn and your dog will go nuts.

alphageek

Former Moderator

Dean:
Thanks for not going into detail about all of "the wrong places", but just the thought of those places has caused me to rethink turning pepper blanks :)

Geez Andy, you didn't need to go there:eek::eek:

I meant places like eyes, nose and LUNGS!

If you thought something else, remind me to NEVER ask for a picture of you turning! :tongue:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmm

I am not sure why any sane person, sound of wind and limb, would ever want to eat something that may do them instant and permanent damage....I don't eat arsenic either.:biggrin:

traderdon55

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to try growing some.I grow habaneros to make picante sauce and to dehydrate and grindup to put on things like biscuits and gravy. I think the ghost chiles would be very interesting to try in my picante sauce.

clayton717

I grew some his year to dry, grind and make seasoning with. along with habanero and carribbean red hots. The ghost pepper are hot. one plant produces quite a few peppers

jskeen

that is just about the same rating as the chemically purified and laboratory refined OC (oleoresin-capsicum) that the SP's carry on USAF bases for when some transiting army ranger type or one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children decides to show off how tough they are. I've seen it used, no way I'm going to eat something like that voluntarily.

PenMan1

that is just about the same rating as the chemically purified and laboratory refined OC (oleoresin-capsicum) that the SP's carry on USAF bases for when some transiting army ranger type or one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children decides to show off how tough they are. I've seen it used, no way I'm going to eat something like that voluntarily.

I'm not gonna turn it, for sure. Dean got me all worked up about that:).

The only way I'd eat it is with alternate bites of ice cream. Come on, ICE CREAM!

Top Bottom