Tap/Die purchase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

builtbybill

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. I am getting ready to purchase some tap/die sets to begin my bespoke pen journey and have a couple of quick questions. Do you normally only use the triple start taps/dies for the caps, or do you use them for all threads on the pen? My plan is to make mostly rollerballs, with some occasional fountains mixed in, so what would be the best combination of taps/dies to purchase, being that I can only afford to get 2 triple starts? I was kind of leaning towards m9 or m10 for the front sections and m12 or m13 for the caps. I know this limits me to one size for the pens, but if I get good then maybe I will get additional sizes for sections and caps to give me more flexibility. Right now I just want to make one size that is comfortable for both men and women.

Also, does anyone know if Jick (Cheng) Wu is still selling taps and dies, I haven't seen him on here since 2022?

Thanks in advance,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

My beginner budget is limited so while I have m9 & m10 sets, I find myself using my m9.5 (actually 3/8" 32tpi ) for sections & finials.
M12 single start for cap threads but have been working on tapered fit to eliminate the cap threads.

duncsuss

IMO, triple start is not appropriate for the section/barrel connection or the clip/finial connection (if you use a threaded finial to hold the clip to the pen cap).

My reason is that a single-start only has one possible orientation, and once you have that perfectly smooth it will always be good. Multiple-start threads always seem to be one or two thousandths off - which is not noticeable for the cap/barrel connection, but you will feel even that tiniest of offsets when the barrel is in your hand.

My go-to cap/barrel dimension is M13 x 0.8 x 3.

This lets me make a section/barrel tenon of M9 x 0.75 (single-start) with enough remaining meat in the walls of the barrel and the pass-through for an ink cartridge/converter or refill.

I typically use the same M9 x 0.75 for the clip retainer/finial, though I have been experimenting with a 3/8" thread (can't remember the tpi, somewhere in the 0.7mm - 0.8mm range). I tried this simply because it was easier to find step-drill bits in inch measurements and when I'm making my own clips from sheet stainless I want the hole drilled round rather than triangular (which seemed to happen a lot when I use a regular twist drill on thin sheet material.)

Hope this helps.

PatrickR

I would skip the 12m unless you want to make pens for #5 nibs. A 13m set and a 10x1 die will get you started. Plus the correct tap for your intended nib. Jick Wu has been Mia since the pandemic I'm afraid.

d_bondi

I'm just getting started on bespoke/kitless but I use a triple start tap/ M13x.8 for cap/body and a single start M10x1 for the section/body.

I got all of mine from Turners Warehouse.

darrin1200

Starter Budget wise, I would start with M13X.8T for the caps. Then an M10x.75 for the section .
This will get you started and you can buy more down the road.

builtbybill

Thanks for all of the help. I think I will be starting with the recommended 13/10 taps/dies, if I get good enough then I will expand to other sizes. I really want to go with the triple start m13, but if Cheng is out of the loop then I think triple starts might be as well...cannot justify $200 for one die just for a hobby.

Top Bottom