Olive wood fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jhecht

Trying my hand at kitless with the help of the great resources on this site. Lots to learn but enjoying it. Sleeved with ebonite. Band is blued nickel silver.

IMG_3965.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Really nice work!
I have made 4 kitless pens so far and and am still working up the courage to try sleeving wood.
That piece of olive wood has some really nice figure in it.

hokie

Awesome job! May I ask how you did the bluing? Does it maintain its patina well? Is yours made from nickel silver tubing or did you have to form it from sheet?
Sorry for all the questions! I'd like to incorporate the material into some of my future pens as well.

Jhecht

Thanks for the question. The band is made from nickel silver tubing that I happened to have from use in another hobby. It machines well (on a metal lathe) and can be left silver in color or blued easily, so seems useful for this application. I have also thought about trying to make clips from NS sheet and could then match up with the band. The bluing is done with Birchwood Casey Brass Black, which works well and is pretty easy to use. The patina will wear off if unprotected. This band was dipped in a jeweler's lacquer, which holds up pretty well (at least in the other application I have used it for). Spray lacquer would also be protective but likely harder to get a good finish. Happy to answer anything else.

Top Bottom