Tap and Die

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

John, I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but if a person is looking for something of quality, they don't usually look for Harbor Freight to have it. At least, that's what I've been told.
Len

Andrew_K99

Are you looking to go 'kitless'?

If so HF and most other local stores won't have the sizes you're after. Some may be able to order them, but you'd likely pay a premium.

As noted above some of the IAP vendors carry some of the ones you'll be after. Victor machinery (Victor Machinery - Metalworking tools and supplies) is a good source for the common metric sizes (though the M9x.75 die is out of stock).

If you're looking at kitless you'll want to do a bunch of research and some sketches to figure out which ones you'll need, it's not that many you'll actually need.

AK

cnirenberg

John,
I have a set from HF and have had no problems. Needed the weird sizes for a project. Ace carries M10x1 and 1/2x20 individual taps and dies. What really you need to do is figure out what sizes you want to use and buy individual T/D sets at Victor tap and die, they have a 25$ min. order so a few-four different T/D's will get you to that price point quickly. You will have them in 2-3 days. They are good people too.

IPD_Mr

We do have a couple of the M9 x .75 sets available this morning. These are the adjustable dies. This is a good size for the body to section connection and it doesn't matter if it is a FP or RB. Other sizes are based on what you are making and where. FPs require specific taps for the feed holder. Cap to body will be based on the size of the pen you are making and if you want single or triple starts. I would say you should look at what you want to make first and then go from there to determine the size of taps and dies that you will need. Unfortunately it is not as simple as buying a set of tap and dies as the sets rarely have a size that you will use.

Jgrden

If so HF and most other local stores won't have the sizes you're after. Some may be able to order them, but you'd likely pay a premium.

As noted above some of the IAP vendors carry some of the ones you'll be after. Victor machinery (Victor Machinery - Metalworking tools and supplies) is a good source for the common metric sizes (though the M9x.75 die is out of stock).

If you're looking at kitless you'll want to do a bunch of research and some sketches to figure out which ones you'll need, it's not that many you'll actually need.

AK

I am noticing that specific tap and die sizes are what we need. Not just a complete set, which would cost hundreds. Now my home work is to decided what specific tap to use for a Barron or Churchill and the same for the die. The other is the cap for the clip and the size should consider using.
Good work, thank you. Still looking for any help,
John

Jgrden

We do have a couple of the M9 x .75 sets available this morning. These are the adjustable dies. This is a good size for the body to section connection and it doesn't matter if it is a FP or RB. Other sizes are based on what you are making and where. FPs require specific taps for the feed holder. Cap to body will be based on the size of the pen you are making and if you want single or triple starts. I would say you should look at what you want to make first and then go from there to determine the size of taps and dies that you will need. Unfortunately it is not as simple as buying a set of tap and dies as the sets rarely have a size that you will use.

Yes, I am learning that triple start is what I want. Also, Baron style as well as Churchill. I want to get good enough for the hidden clip, or a screw-on clip top

Thank you,
John

Haynie

Hey Luke, I have a four inch angle grinder that worked along side a dewalt and milwaukee. When those two died the HF still worked flawlessly. Good items can be had, in fact all of the machines I am using are sold by harbor freight. They were in use in the shop daily for many many years without issue.

I am watching this thread pretty close.

Jgrden

AK

Which do you prefer using MM or Standard? Makes no difference to me, just how kits are calibrated.

Andrew_K99

Which do you prefer using MM or Standard? Makes no difference to me, just how kits are calibrated.
I've not used standard nor have I done enough with metric to give you an honest opinion.

I went metric based on my research here, metric also comes in finer thread sizes which is well suited for pens.

AK

Jgrden

Winner

I am interested. You site has a question from me. :confused: I need a IAP discount. :smile-big:

John
Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

Jgrden

I've not used standard nor have I done enough with metric to give you an honest opinion.

I went metric based on my research here, metric also comes in finer thread sizes which is well suited for pens.

AK

I agree, metric is for me so I will follow that avenue.

Top Bottom