tap and die size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jamesbil

Hi all,
I want to try a kitless f/p in acrylic and need some advice.
1. where to get the f/p nib part?
2, what size thread for the cap?
3. how to hold the die to thread the barrel section?

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

There are a number of tutorials in the library that cover your questions. In part it all starts with the nib you select to use. Number 5 or 6 and what brand. Each has its own proprietary size. That defines the size of the section thread which defines the size of the barrel and therefore the barrel to cap threads.

Penultimate

Hi
This die holder works really well. I also have a tap holder. It fits in the tail stock and is spring loaded to hold the tap straight and applies some force to the part.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2314

I reccomend victornet.com for taps and dies.

The Penturners Bible has a couple kitless designs with dimensions. I recommend it as a good starting point.
Good luck, have fun

jamesbil

Thanks,
and of course questions lead to questions...

which would you recommend for a beginner like me? 5 or 6mm?
I suppose I had better start with a budget set for the first few. Where is a good place to buy them?

Meanwhile I'll be in the library..

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can grip the tap in the chuck and leave the tailstock loose and push it forward as you turn the tap, if you can lock the spindle. It getts kinda tricky to hold the Spindle/chuck and turn the tap and slide the tailstock. Will your Tailstock will keep alignment when not tightened down. We are talking small amounts of out of alignment being a big problem. The tap guide holds it in alignment and its spring loaded so you as you turn the tap it keep pressure on it to move it forward. For the $6.00 it really makes the job so much easier.

Top Bottom