Tap and Die Set I'm looking at

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

If this is the same set save your money at that auction site :eek: check this one
http://www.dynamitetoolco.com/Grip-53200-Tap-Die-Set-Metric-p/grp-53200.htm has a lot more info
You can find them at way better prices that that outfit you link to.
Having a large number of taps and dies. I have to agree you can purchase the ones you need from tool sellers Like wholesale tool they have a number of import and made in the USA

Along with drill bits etc.
I am a long time customer of WT I have no knowledge of the company dynamite tool co.
:clown:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Don't waste your time and money on that rubbish. If you need to clean up old threads on a lawnmower bolt or tap a rough hole in some plate, then ok. But for nice threads on a pen you need something a little better
Fixed hexagonal dies really are only for cleaning threads. You need round split dies

Have a look at all the kits you have and measure your favourite size. Just approximately will do.:wink:

Now get a decent quality ADJUSTABLE single die and a taper tap to suit it.
If you are metricated, then I would recommend 12mm x 1mm. These are pretty common and not to pricey. Tapco in USA is good quality.
Just these will allow you to do basic cap threads

If these really work for you and pay for themselves, then progress into the special sizes and styles like multi starts and weird sizes needed to suit the various exact sizes that suit the top brand fountain pen parts.

Also remember that these are only the STARTING costs. You will need the tooling to hold them and the learning curve can be long and exspensive.:eek:

Good luck and enjoy the ride:biggrin:

soligen

You only really need 2 sizes to get started on kitless, and a die holder. You should be able to get started for about $40, then you can add-on later.

My recommendations are:

M12 x .75 tap and die (for cap threads)
M10 x .75 tap and die (for section threads)

I have a very basic die holder that goes into my MT2 drill chuck - only $10

Later, when you are hooked, you can upgrade to a triple start for for cap threads (over $100 for the set).

With just the 2 sizes, roller ball nose cones will need to be integrated with the section. If you want to make roller ball nose cones that screw into the section, you can later add M8 x .75 (or .5)

For FPs you can get by without the specialty tap by glueing in the feed holder (I use shellac for this so I can get it apart if I ever need to). You can buy those specialty taps (usually $30ish each) later once you decide which FP parts you like the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom