Tap and Die group buy (triple-start threads) - who's interested?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbowagon

Well, it's been about 2 years since the last group buy and there seems to be some interest for another.

We'll likely go with the same specs used in the last two buys:

SPECIFICATIONS:
- M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple-start tap and die
- threading the same as the El Grande kit
- material of tools: M2 (HSS) steel
- ground thread and shank
- thread tolerances assumed: 6H
- Plug-style tap
- straight flute
- dies are circular, split, adjustable with 1" OD

Please post here if you are interested in purchasing. The price will probably be in the neighborhood of $200 for a tap and die set if we get enough interest.

Once enough interest is confirmed I will contact the tap manufacturer for a quote and coordinate the buy with Monty.

Thanks!

- Joe

EDIT: actually, looking through past threads, it seems Tapco may be a cheaper option than e-taps (the source of the original group buy), and the set may actually be in the neighborhood of $100. I'll report back when we get a quote from Tapco.

Last edited:

Russianwolf

depends on how much money I have handy when you start taking orders for me. Right now, I'd say no, but my tax refund will change that soon. But you have to hit me before I spend it all again.

Gotta help the economy ya know. :wink:

IPD_Mrs

The die should come in around $85 or so based on previous experiences with Tapco. I am surprised how much cheaper this looks compared to the one two years ago. That is of course if we get 24 people in on this.

turbowagon

Just got a quote back for a 1" OD round die at $49.00 each w/ the quantity discount.

So we're tentatively looking at about $100 plus shipping/fees for the set. Probably around $110 when all is said and done.

IPD_Mrs

Just got a quote back for a 1" OD round die at $49.00 each w/ the quantity discount.

So we're tentatively looking at about $100 plus shipping/fees for the set. Probably around $110 when all is said and done.

Joe, just let us know when you start to collect the money for these.

turbowagon

Looks like there's enough interest for the max discount.

Taking Skiprat's advice, I decided to go with a taper-style tap. The price is low enough where we could place a separate order in the future for a bottoming-tap if there was enough interest to complete the set.

To get an idea of shipping charges and any special tooling charges, I sent a request for total price quote for the following (I also inquired about a 3-flute option, which may make more sense for a triple-start tap to keep things symmetrical):

Can you please provide a total quote including shipping to zip code 03875 for the following parts:

(24 pieces) M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start taper tap, Standard Class 6H, 4 Flute
(24 pieces) M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start 1" OD Round adjustable die

Alternatively, do you have a 3 Flute option for the same tap? If so, please also provide a separate quote for:

(24 pieces) M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start taper tap, Standard Class 6H, 3 Flute
(24 pieces) M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start 1" OD Round adjustable die

Once I hear back with the total quote, I will contact Monty and set up an official group buy thread.

- Joe

turbowagon

Three-flute taps are available for the same price, but Skiprat recommends the four-flute version, so that's the one I've decided to go with.

So... here is the final pricing for a set:

Tap: $41.36
Die: $49.00
Tooling fee: $2.50
Paypal fee: $4.00
Shipping to me: $1.00
Shipping to you: $5.00 USA / $11.95 Canada / $13.95 Other countries
Insurance optional and extra
Express international w/ tracking optional and extra

Total: $102.86 USA / $109.81 Canada / $111.81 All other countries

Estimated time for manufacture: 2 - 3 weeks from when I place the order.

Final specs:

M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start taper tap, Standard Class 6H, 4 Flute
M12.0 x 0.8P x 2.4L triple start 1" OD Round split/adjustable die

I will be posting an official thread for the group buy within the next day or so.

Thanks!

- Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom