Talking Trash

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wudnhed

OK, now that I have your attention, I need some suggestions. I'm going to be selling my pens at the Salton Sea International Bird Festival. I'm assuming it will attract alot of naturalists. I have gone thru my pens and taken out the few I had with shotgun clips and shell casings. I want to have some good and natural info on where I get the wood in case I'm asked.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

A crowd full of naturalists might not really care, but you can tell them the wood comes from salvaged natural tree falls, or legally harvested timber (at least, to my knowledge that's where mine comes from). Naturists (and not the ones that like to run around in their birthday suits) are more apt to care about the origin of the timber. [;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Don't lie about it. If you don't know, tell them so. If you make something up and happen to be talking to a knowledgeable person, you will quickly look foolish.

Mikey

Easy, tell them North America, South America, Asia, and Africa.[:D][:D] And if you are selling resin, then tell them it ws from the great people drilling thousands of holes into the earh's crust and sucking all the oil out and contributing to global warming.[:D][:D]

wudnhed

Billy, I like your suggestions, sounds good to me and is truthful. I just wanted to be prepared to have smooth conversation and not be taken by surprise. I wouldn't lie about anything just wanted to sound more informative, intelligent than I normally do[:D][;)][:D] Thanks for the help guys!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Becca - made this about a year ago. Cast around the inlay and turned. Always nice to include a theme pen that ties in with the event. If interested I can send you the link where I got the inlay.
200721622518_Birdinlay.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by wudnhed
<br />I have gone thru my pens and taken out the few I had with shotgun clips and shell casings.

You can always tell them that you saved some birds by disarming the casings.

Seriously, take them with you. There is a good chance a few hunters will be there.
Ducks Unlimited is mentioned on the front page of the website
http://www.newriverwetlands.com/saltonsea.html
http://www.ducks.org/

wudnhed

Originally posted by BRobbins629
Always nice to include a theme pen that ties in with the event. If interested I can send you the link where I got the inlay.

bruce, thanks so much for the offer, pretty darn nice of you but the event is tomorrow and sunday. if i get invited back nex year may i contact you?

sorry about lower casings guys, cut my thumb today and keeping it elevated.

thanks so much,

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
<br />
Originally posted by BRobbins629
Always nice to include a theme pen that ties in with the event. If interested I can send you the link where I got the inlay.
bruce, thanks so much for the offer, pretty darn nice of you but the event is tomorrow and sunday. if i get invited back nex year may i contact you?
thanks so much,
But of course - best of luck with the sales. Let us know how it works out.

alamocdc

Becca, you're supposed to keep your digits away from sharp objects, not in them, silly girl... er, I mean your Highness.[}:)][;)] Seriously, I hope the injury isn't too bad and that it heals quickly!

wudnhed

yeah, i shoved my thumb into the band saw, i could feel it ripping up[:(][xx(][V] i probably should get a few stitches but i rinsed it out really well with peroxide and pulled it up tight with a couple strong band aides. had a tetnus (sp) shot a few months ago so it will be fine[:D] at least at my show tomorrow i have proof i do the pens. people always look at me in disbelief when i tell them i make the pens[:p] thanks for the good thoughts[^]

probably won't be on tomorrow. after the pen selling loml and i are going to a navion (sp) fly in. my brother has one and we fly with him sometimes. he has completely modified the engine and redone the inside, painted the outside. it's beautiful! you all have a great weekend.

alamocdc

Yeouch! Not good, Becca. That hurts me just thinking about it. BTW, if it needs stitches and you dont get them tonight, they might not put them in later (they never would mine... okay, so I'm hard headed). They always told me that after about 6 hours it was too late b/c the healing had already begun and they'd have to reopen the wound surgically and then stitch it. Yes, it can heal, but tends to leave a rather nasty looking scar that would have been prevented or at lessened by stitches. But I'm a guy so it didn't matter. However, it will heal slower and you run the increased risk of infection. Okay, okay, I'll quit preaching.[;)]

wudnhed

Thanks, Billy for the concern. At this age[:(]a scar is the least of my worries. Yippee, using CAPS this a.m. but it's a good thing we don't use our thumbs to type[:p]

John, thanks for the luck on the show. I will tell you, for a fraction of a second I looked for the end of my thumb. I just knew it had to be gone and LOML would have to rush me to the emergency room, the piece would be to old to sew back on, have ugly bandage, heal ugly, have to wait in line at Disability Office, sit in a wheel chair the rest of my life, never go out in public again............of yeah it was just a scratch, huh[:D][;)][:D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Becca,

I just saw this, and ouch! I'm sorry to hear about your thumb. Tetnus is likely not a concern. Tetnus is an anerobic (does not live in air) organism, and is usually related to puncture wounds rather than cuts. More and more, doctors are using steri-strips to hold wounds together. A thumb cap splint to keep you from bending it will help to keep the cut from re-opening. If it does re-open, you will get secondary intention healing which will leave a more noticable scar. So, if you don't get stiches, try your best not to let the cut re-open. We don't want to ruin your modeling career! [:p]

DocRon

<br />yeah, i shoved my thumb into the band saw, i could feel it ripping up[:(][xx(][V]
Ouch- I did that!. Only I cut the back of one finger, down to the bone, severing the tendon. Needed hand surgery and rehab and seven years later, the finger still has a bend in it where it shouldn't and never has regained full range of motion. I'm sure many of us have equal or worse horror stories,. Point is, take care of it. Glad it only hit the soft spots.

BigRob777

Becca,
You might want to do some pens in ginko and melaleuca (sp?). I would think that some naturalists are also health conscious naturalistly bent. I had no idea how to word that. Some would say health nuts, but I take ginko and I'm only partly nuts. I saw some melaleuca online last month, but can't recall where. I've got ginko.
Rob

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Becca,
You might want to do some pens in ginko and melaleuca (sp?). I would think that some naturalists are also health conscious naturalistly bent. I had no idea how to word that. Some would say health nuts, but I take ginko and I'm only partly nuts. I saw some melaleuca online last month, but can't recall where. I've got ginko.
Rob

Increase your dose! [;)]

underdog

More and more, doctors are using steri-strips to hold wounds together.

So that's what those things were.. Yeah, I noticed that after I took the bandages off my recent incisions. Surprised me actually. But everything is healing up nice...

Sorry about the accident Becca, hope you do well in the show...[:)]

wudnhed

Show went OK, it was small. Gotta take the good with the bad and I will just consider it one of my small shows.

Thumb is healing very well.

William, no modeling, I'm an actress..........most of the time I ACT like I'm doing something productive!

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Welcome home - if it weren't for small shows we wouldn't know how good the big ones are. Glad the thumb is getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom