Taking the plunge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jttheclockman

Have had my jet mini for about a year and have not had an interest in pen making until I went to a woodworking show this past Friday and was passing the Craft Supply booth and watched a penturning seminar. Have to say it piqued my interest so I bought some equipment and videos. My question here is where is the best place to buy inserts and blanks.??? What are some of the pitfalls to watch for??? Is one type pen style better than another??? If I get into selling about what price range are we talking??? I know so many questions and they are probably posted somewhere here so if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks for the replys in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

WELCOME!!!

Best place to get blanks is here [;)]

kits are best from CSUSA and ArizonaSilhouette

My favorites are
Jr Gent II
Jr Gent twist
Imperial
Jr Emperor

Sierra
Perfect Fit
Baron
Round Top Euro

tas2181

Hi John,
Good to see you here. Been at this craft/art for a little over a year now myself.
My kit suppliers: Arizona Silhouettes(Berea Kits), Woodturningz(PSI kits), and CSUSA(for their own kits)
As far as styles it is pretty much a personal preference(either yours or the costumers)[:)]
As far as blanks just about anywhere I can get a good deal. [;)]

Tom

mick

Welcome John,
What everyone else said about blanks and hardware. I but all my Cigars, Barons and Sierras from Arizona Silhouettes. All good sellers for me! Stateman, Jr Statesman and Emperors I get from Craft Supplies as well as the Panache also good sellers. For Slimlines you can't beat Ryan at Woodturningz. (Splurge for the Ti Gold hardware).
Prices you'll have to determine for yourself. It's usually what the market area you're in will bear.

jttheclockman

I am getting great answers as I knew I would here so let me throw a couple more questions in the mix. I have not been able to participate in any discussions of pens in the past because I have no experience but have read that some pen kits are of lesser quality and some kits are not interchangable. Some kits you have to buy their mandrel and other parts to make work. Is any of this true and if so what am I looking for??? I also realize the area you live in is a determining factor in price but if some of you can give me a ball park figure to start at would help. Also it seems you all sell lots of pens and are in the hundreds so my question is where do you sell them??? Boy I have been looking through some of the photos of pens here and all I can say is WOW.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by jttheclockman
<br />I am getting great answers as I knew I would here so let me throw a couple more questions in the mix. I have not been able to participate in any discussions of pens in the past because I have no experience but have read that some pen kits are of lesser quality and some kits are not interchangable. Some kits you have to buy their mandrel and other parts to make work. Is any of this true and if so what am I looking for??? I also realize the area you live in is a determining factor in price but if some of you can give me a ball park figure to start at would help. Also it seems you all sell lots of pens and are in the hundreds so my question is where do you sell them??? Boy I have been looking through some of the photos of pens here and all I can say is WOW.

Hi John

Just my opinion... that and $1 still wont get you any coffee at Starbucks [:D]

Start with an inexpensive kit... slimline, cigar... and concentrate on developing the skills and the eye... then switch to the more expensive kits and better woods and acrylics...

..... THEN worry about selling them [:D]

You can get quite a bit of practice on a slimline with a easy-to-turn-and-finish wood... for not a lot of money.

There are (basically) 2 different size mandrels... and the "B" mandrel doesn't get used for many kits... I can't even remember what kit it was that prompted me to buy one...

The bushings are available to fit a certain kit...

You are definitely hooked as evidenced by your interest...

If I were you, I would just start turning some pens... each kit has it's own idiosyncrasies, strengths and weaknesses... start with one, and turn a pen... learn from that, and move on to another...

In my opinion, the turning was the easiest to learn... [:D]

.... you still have sharpening, finishing, assembly, etc....

Rmartin

The fastest way to get a pen turned is to buy some pre-drilled 7mm slimlines from Pen State Industries. I like the color grain, but they have some natual woods pre drilled as well. Buy 2 or 3 sets of bushings for the slimline (you can use them as spacers on other pens). You'll also need a mandrel and shaft. Make sure you get one that fits your lathe.

It doesn't cost a lot to get started. It's like a little devil that nips at your heal, runs up your spine, and then takes your wallet when you're not looking.

Arlie

Like others, I started with slimline kits. Take a look at the "starter kit" from Rockler (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17230). This is not necessarily an endorsment, just what I came across first, but its not a bad place to start. Just about the time my kit arrived, I visited the woodworking show in Columbus, OH, and, as you, was inspired by the demonstrations at the Craft Supply booth (Mr. Deheers gave great demos without gratuitously pushing his company's products). Since then I've played with the "Father Sing" kits (requiring only an additional set of bushings), and am now waiting for supplies for Sierra/Wall Street kits (again, only an additional set of bushings was needed). The "finer" kits are being saved for later. As far as blanks, I get a kick out of making my own from locally grown wood from sawmills, friends scraps, my woodpile, old fenceposts, etc. My pens are nowhere near the quality of those of the other posters here, but that just doesn't matter right now - I enjoy it and that's enough. The fact that I have sold a couple is just, as my Cajun friends say, lagniappe. Enjoy the addiction, and check back here often - these folks are rich with information and encouragement.

Scott

It doesn't cost a lot to get started. It's like a little devil that nips at your heal, runs up your spine, and then takes your wallet when you're not looking.

Dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun (Jaws music) - "Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the shop." [:D]

John - You've gotten some good advice. My advice? Start turning!

Scott.

webmonk

Hi John!

When you're shopping around for kits and trying to maximize your available kits while buying the least amount of additional accessories (bits, bushings, mandrels, etc) come check out the master pen kit list over at Penventory (direct link: http://www.penventory.com/inv.pl?command=suggestreport ). Last I checked there were about 680 different kits you can search through based on type, finish, manufacturer, etc. and soon (hopefully by later tonight) you'll be able to get an idea of the average cost. Many of them also have a direct link to a supplier so you can get all the details.

Anyway, welcome aboard and just let us know what we can do to help ya (though you're already doomed) because once you've turned a pen you're hooked. ;)

jttheclockman

Thanks all for the great advice already. As I staed t the wood show I got hooked and bought the beginners set which included the mandrel and some slimline sets. I am waiting to receive it because they did not have them at the show. I have one other question and I am sure will get different views. What is the finish you all use on your pens and how is it applied??? Does it stand up to everyday use?? I think a pen gets more use than any other thing we can turn. There probably is a tutoril on this somewhere here or a pdf file. Any help on this also would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome John. I have been turning less than a year. I did what Marc said. I started with slimlines and comfort pens (PSI kits) because they were inexpensive so I didn't lose a lot when they wound up as sawdust on the shop floor. Bought about 70 walnut blanks on Ebay for about 20 cents each to practice with then started buying other woods and blanks. Just now moving to higher priced kits. Sierra's were next because they were easy to turn for a newbie. Worked a looong time this afternoon turning a pen from 100+ year old piece of oak. Like turning concrete!

Check the Library for Russ Fairfield's video on finishing using CA glue and BLO (boiled linseed oil). There are other finishes but you might as well learn from the front end.

Lots to read and learn from this site. But I warn you that every article you read you will find another piece of equipment that you need. And to think I got into pen turning because it didn't cost much! [:D]
Borrowing from Nike...Just do it! Knowledge is gained from reading...skill is gained from practicing.
Freddie

heineda

Hello,

As far as nuying blanks, I have found that my local Rockler store has really expanded their selection. I usually go to the local hardwood store. They have a samll section featuring "exotic" wood. I can buy a 6" X 14" X 7/8" peice of Bocote for $4.50. I then saw my blanks on the table saw, and it comes out to a whole lot less that what you pay per blank in the retail shops.

Good Luck,
Dan Heine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom