Taking photo's of something different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Space....and super far away!

Posted this on Facebook, and had a 'pro' tell me I did it all wrong....seems to be a lot of pros on the Facebooks.

Took three nights of stay outside late, and a bit of post-processing to stretch the light enough to get some detail. But I think it came out fine for just a few hours worth of imaging. And I think it looks a bit like one of my blanks too!

Scott (too hot to turn) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Scott,
Beauty and pictures are in the eye of the beholder... you obviously saw something in your pictures that the "pro's" didn't. I love pictures of the sky and often wonder what's out there... sometimes wish I could be around when we actually go to the stars on a regular basis.

mmayo

Scott. Do it wrong some more. Nice work.

I have great views of the Milky Way outside my new home. Soon I hope to try to capture it in my camera. Any advice for exposure. I have I Nikon D7100 and fixed focal length and zoom lenses.

magpens

Nice picture, Scott !!!! . Don't listen to the pros ... I think you did GREAT !!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The thing about Facebook (and most other internet sites): You declare YOURSELF an expert--as long as you never give information that would identify you, no one can ever check your credentials.

So, looks to me like YOU are AN EXPERT!!
Congrats!!

MDWine

Man, I love astrophotography!!

After many attempts, I finally got images of the Milky Way. In retrospect, I don't know what the heck I was doing to fail so badly previously, but I finally got it. I was very excited.

Posted below are a couple of links I found just now, the one on Fstoppers is one I like. I posted these only because someone asked "how", so this should get you started...

Now, THAT MOON IMAGE IS OFF THE CHART!!! Man, I love that!

THE HECK WITH THE CRITICS... DO WHAT YA LOVE!!

https://fstoppers.com/composite/few-tips-astrophotography-and-how-capture-stars-night-116479

How-To: Astrophotography 101 | Popular Photography

SDB777

Wow, what a cool picture! What's the name of that galaxy?

Rod

M51, or the Whirlpool Galaxy. Apparently one galaxy is up there feeding on another. It is roughly above the handle part of the big dipper....

I have great views of the Milky Way outside my new home. Soon I hope to try to capture it in my camera. Any advice for exposure. I have I Nikon D7100 and fixed focal length and zoom lenses.

Milky Way stuff is fairly easy. Tripod, camera, wide lens that is fairly 'fast'(think f/2.8 or f/4 on the slow side). Point at Milky Way and take a bunch of 20-30 second exposures(ISO800). "Stretch" in Photoshop using the 'levels/curves'(you can find this on youtube).

After many attempts, I finally got images of the Milky Way. In retrospect, I don't know what the heck I was doing to fail so badly previously, but I finally got it. I was very excited.

Posted below are a couple of links I found just now, the one on Fstoppers is one I like. I posted these only because someone asked "how", so this should get you started...

https://fstoppers.com/composite/few-tips-astrophotography-and-how-capture-stars-night-116479

Thanks. The Moon was sort of cheating photography.....it's called 'lucky imaging'. The term comes from using a Y800 uncompressed video of about 1000 frames, stacked in AS!2..... basically, the program picks out the 'best' images and stacks them into one jpeg(or tiff) image for 'working on'.

Scott (getting cooler....time to get outside and look up) B

farmer

I was wondering

Wow, what a cool picture! What's the name of that galaxy?

Rod

M51, or the Whirlpool Galaxy. Apparently one galaxy is up there feeding on another. It is roughly above the handle part of the big dipper....

Milky Way stuff is fairly easy. Tripod, camera, wide lens that is fairly 'fast'(think f/2.8 or f/4 on the slow side). Point at Milky Way and take a bunch of 20-30 second exposures(ISO800). "Stretch" in Photoshop using the 'levels/curves'(you can find this on youtube).

Thanks. The Moon was sort of cheating photography.....it's called 'lucky imaging'. The term comes from using a Y800 uncompressed video of about 1000 frames, stacked in AS!2..... basically, the program picks out the 'best' images and stacks them into one jpeg(or tiff) image for 'working on'.

Scott (getting cooler....time to get outside and look up) B

I have tried photographing the moon with my ef 100 too 400 mm with a 1.4 extender .
All my photos where blurry or grainy .

Nice photo

Hoover015

Astro Pics

Scott,
Your astrophotography pics are great. I really like the one of the moon, excellent detail. As far as the experts go, I would not worry about it too much. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that think a lot of themselves and what they can do. And of course they were never a novice. I for one would like to see more of your work.

Gary

Top Bottom