Tailstock slipping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have a HF 8 x 12" lathe. model 95607. The tailstock slips when I tighten down a piece I am working on. I have tried tightening the nut under the tailstock but that doesn't work. Still moves. Anybody else have this problem and find a fix? Other than buying a new lathe!

randyrls

I have a HF 8 x 12" lathe. model 95607. The tailstock slips when I tighten down a piece I am working on. I have tried tightening the nut under the tailstock but that doesn't work. Still moves. Anybody else have this problem and find a fix? Other than buying a new lathe!

George; Not on this particular lathe, but the Jet 1014 models are noted for this problem (tail stock creep). The difficulty is that the disk that clamps to the underside of the bed ways is a disk that has limited contact area with the underside of the bed ways.

A larger rectangular plate might help the lockdown situation. Oh; and if the lock down is angled toward the head stock like this "\" the tail stock may move it backward like this "|"

mick

At one time several years ago one of our members was making a rectangle replacement "nut" for the 1014. I'm not sure if they were available for other lathes but if you can get a piece of 3/8's or so aluminum you can make your own. Cut a square (or make it rectangle for more holding surface )about the size of the diameter of the round piece. Then grind or file shoulders on two opposite sides making a profile identical to the round piece. Drill and tap the hole for the adjustment bolt and you've increased the holding surface by more than x3

Sent from my HTC One

Last edited:
Top Bottom