tailstock help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

Hopefully I am in the right forum for this question. I have a delta/rockwell wood lathe I purchased a couple of months ago. I wanted to change the live center in the talil stock and had a hard time getting the old one out. I ended up taking the spindle out and inserting a rod to knock it out. On my metal lathe if I retract the spindle the live center comes out. I assume there is a rod of some sort that pushes the live center out. I need help fixing my tail stock any ideas where to start?
Thanks for any help you can provide. William

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

I am assuming you tailstock spindle set up for either MT1 or MT2 Morse taper.

I took to using a 3/8" ratchet socket extension bar on my old delta when either drive or live center, a light tap with my mallet did the trick. The knock out bar had a plastic ball on one end and was afraid to break it.

Great Neck 6" 3/8" Drive Socket Extension Bar - EX38

Took my entire tailstock apart cleaned and oiled, put back together and no more problem. Had no problem self ejecting OEM live center but after market live center would stick now and then. Had more problems at the headstock with drive centers.

dbledsoe

I have one live center that is not long enough to reach the knock-out gizmo when it is retracted. I have to manually knock it out by using a rod inserted in the tailstock, just like removing the center in the headstock.

KenV

William -- How old a Delta Rockwell??

Some did not have an ejection pin, and the pin could be removed on others. Used one of those, once upon a time, and was able to run a long bit through the tailstock and the live center with center point removed - to drill out a lamp body I had turned for insertion of the wire. 3/8 drill bit as I remember through the haze of time.

Dan Masshardt

My delta rockwell had no self ejection. I had to take the tail stock spindle out and used a knockout rod then out it back it.

I got pretty quick at it.

Top Bottom