Tailstock DRO question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

I was looking back at a few threads where others installed a tailstock DRO to see which version I would like to try. One thing I'm wondering for those that have installed one...doesn't the metal plate you attach to the tailstock shaft interfere with being able to retract the tailstock far enough for it to release the attachments? I know with my live center I can't seem to get it back out unless I back out the tailstock and I've noticed when it releases there doesn't appear to be enough space to have a plate attached to the shaft. BTW I have the Jet 9x20.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Several of the accessories will back out just fine a couple may not. Your live center may have a threaded hole at the back you can thread a bolt or socket head cap screw into to make it pop out sooner. You could supper glue or epoxy a spacer on the back to make it release sooner also. The only real accessory that needs all the travel it can get is your drill chuck.

John Den

I glue (CA) spacers on the end of the accessories, the same depth as the collar that I've fixed on the tailstock spindle to operate the DRO.
On the accessories still waiting the mod I give them a twist with my pipe wrenches and they release quite easily really!
I've never regretted the time taken fitting the "sawed up Digital calipers" I used for the DRO - how did I ever get by measuring with a six inch ruler that never quite fitted into the gap I'll never know!!!
Regards,
John

Gilrock

Yeah I found one of the old posts about DRO's that I had commented in and reminded myself that I only have 1.5" of tailstock travel so I'm not sure a DRO would be that useful to me. Most of the holes I drill I end up having to move the tailstock several times and I have to start up the lathe with my fingers crossed as it spins up with a drill bit already halfway inside the part.

Gilrock

Gil, can't you slide the tailstock up into the blank while it's spinning?

I used to do that all the time on my wood lathe so I don't know why I'm nervous about doing that on the metal lathe. I did have a resin blank get an out of round hole the other day when trying to move the tailstock while things were spinning and I think some of the shaving gathered up and caused an issue as I was trying to back it out. I am probably more aggressive these days with my drilling. I used to back out the drill bit and spray water inside the blank every 1/16th of an inch...now I drill further and things heat up a bit more and I use an air compressor hose to speed up the process of cooling down the drill bit and blank. I think the shavings melted and grabbed or something like that.

It would help if I had a quick release but I haven't tried to install one. It seems like I like to move my tailstock locking screw further than 180 degrees when I loosen/tighten so I wasn't sure I'd like a quick release that wouldn't even move 180 degrees.

Top Bottom