Table top glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hehndc

hehndc

Thanks in advance for any advise, here's my question: I am making a table top (to be set upon an old iron sewing machine base). The top is being made of 1/2" plywood with walnut, cherry and maple glued on top. I have resawed the hardwoods and cut the pieces to form a pattern (about 3/8" thick). The hardwood pieces are fairly flat. What would be your recommendation for a glue to attatch the hardwood to the plywood? I'm thinking epoxy, but wondered if anything else might be better. The whole thing will be ran through a drum sander after.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think most any wood glue would be ok. Might consider MDF for a backer instead
of plywood, but it depends on how stable your ply is. You don't want it to warp
and start pulling your pieces out of shape.

hehndc

Thanks New London 88. The plywood is 5 ply, cabinet grade, so I'm thinking it should be stable. I was concerned that wood glue will not fill gaps, some of the pieces rock around a little bit. But I will say Titebond does provide a tight bond.

Thanks

Have a good Holiday,

Steve

ctubbs

If your pieces 'rock around' then they are not flat on the back or your substrate is not flat. Both must be flat and smooth for this to work well and for a long time. You mention access to a drum sander. Run the pieces through it till they are dead flat on the back and all the same thickness. Charlie is correct about the MDF. For what you are working with, it will give you a much more stable substrate for your veneer. Then you can edge the whole top with some of your beautiful hardwood to finish off a prize table.
Charles

I would use a high grade baltic birch with a high layer count,then I would use tite bond original(the best wood glue in my eyes).The wood fiber will fail before the glue joint does,unless something happens(moisture).Good Luck and please post pics of the finished table sounds cool,Victor

jbthbt

I would use Titebond 1 to glue the pieces to your backer, and then use an epoxy or thick lacquer to fill any gaps that are left. It's my experience that wood glues penetrate the wood and produce a joint that usually stronger than the wood, however epoxies seem to just adhere to the surface and are much more prone to separation.

fernhills

Thanks, Titebond it is, thanks for all the help. I'll post a pic when it's done,

steve

That's a project i have done when i first started woodworking at about 26 years old. The chairs i bought from naked furniture and i finished them in the Hitchcock theme. The set is still being used at my cabin in the mountains after 41 years. The top is solid cherry that i bought from a mill for $6.00 back then. You will enjoy what you will make and receive many good comments.

Attachments

• ry=400 table.jpg
    ry=400 table.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom