Syzygy v2.0

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

jskeen

I have looked at both of these pens you have done, and just have to ask one question. Does the design mandate the straight b2b turning of the pen? would turning the lower barrel with a little curve to it alter the design? Given that you are working with the non posting end cap on these pens, the transition from the tapered cap to the straight barrel seems a bit abrupt, and (at least in pictures) gives the illusion that the barrel is actually a little concave. The effect is present but less on the cap, where the taper of the finial is shorter, and the clip and relatively straight centerband assy offset it.

I would be interested to see one of these blanks turned with a little curve to it, then if it didn't work, you could always turn it down to straight.

VisExp

James, the design doesn't mandate a straight b2b turning at all. The segments go all the way through the blank, so a change in diameter of the barrel causes the circles to shrink or expand. You can see the circles on the lower barrel are smaller than the ones on the upper barrel. However, I don't think that a slight curve would make that much of a difference and would probably work better.

The only reason that I did not turn it with a curve is firstly, I was probably more focused on the design and lost sight of the form of the pen. Secondly, this is only the second Jr. I have made and so I'm still trying to find the right form.

Like the curve on the Sierra, I would imagine you would have to hit that sweet spot. To little and it is b2b, to much and it is pregnant :)

As I sit here looking at the pen in person I also wonder if an optical illusion caused by the circles would make a curve look more pronounced.

I appreciate your comments. I'm busy working on another blank at the moment, African Black wood with brass. When I turn it, I will try and put a slight curve on the barrels and see if it improves the overall look of the pen.

Top Bottom