symposium demo pieces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

its_virgil

I did two demos at the symposium here in Texas at the end of August. The symposium is known as SWAT since it is sponsored by the SouthWest Association of Turners. One of the demos was titled "Closed End Pen with Hidden Clip" and the other demo was titled "Casting Pen Blanks." Here are pictures showing the results of those two demos.

The closed end pen is a Jr. gent vI with two of the CB rings removed. The wood is curly walnut.

Although I don;t cast many blanks with color I think these two came out rather nicely. The colors were pearl X powders in copper and turquoise.

Thanks to Barry Gross for furnishing the casting kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Attachments

• IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Figure 5.JPG
    Figure 5.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 276
  • Figure 3.JPG
    Figure 3.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Figure 1.JPG
    Figure 1.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Doing demos is one of my favorite things to do, other than making pens. I love sharing what I have learned. I have done demonstrations at symposia in Utah, Arizona, Chicago, and here in Texas. I accept any time I an invited. So you think 35 yrs teaching HS math has any influence?

Thanks for the comments. I actually made two of the copper/turquoise blanks. One was used for the pen and the other blank is #2.
Do a good turn daily~
Don

Love the copper/turquoise blank and pen! Did you enjoy doing the demos?

seamus7227

Wow Don, your demo blanks really turned out flawlessly!:eek:Oh! I forgot! I've already seen them in person. :biggrin: thanks again for putting up with me again at the SWAT as your sidekick, I really appreciate you lettin' me partake in the festivities!

its_virgil

You're welcome. My thanks to you for the help. We need to find a couple more helpers for next year so we can have some time to look around or attend a demo.
Do good turn daily!
Don

Wow Don, your demo blanks really turned out flawlessly!:eek:Oh! I forgot! I've already seen them in person. :biggrin: thanks again for putting up with me again at the SWAT as your sidekick, I really appreciate you lettin' me partake in the festivities!

Lenny

Thanks Lenny. Is there no symposium in Maine?
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Looking great Don! Sure wish I could attend one someday!

None that I know of .... I think some members of the Maine Woodturners have gone down to the New England Symposium.
In my (very limited) experience with the Maine Woodturners they seemed to be more about bowl turning and anything NOT pens. VERY talented bunch but I didn't get the feeling pen turning was a part of their "club". :frown:

flyitfast

Thanks Don for following up with the finished products. After seeing the blanks being "created" at SWAT, I really appreciated how they turned out.
SWAT is always a great learning experience - for adults and kids. Your work with the youth always adds to the value of the symposium.
Thanks for your demos. :good:
Gordon

its_virgil

You're welcome, Gordon. And thanks to you for the good words. I hope you learned enojgh to give casting a try. Already looking forward to next year.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Quote=flyitfast;1286262]Thanks Don for following up with the finished products. After seeing the blanks being "created" at SWAT, I really appreciated how they turned out.
SWAT is always a great learning experience - for adults and kids. Your work with the youth always adds to the value of the symposium.
Thanks for your demos. :good:
Gordon

Last edited:
Top Bottom