Switching Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Here's the problem. I have about 5 pens kits that I turn. Basic slimline (not often), comfort pen (favorite small pen), cigar pen, premium classic rollerball/fp (woodturningz), and the cigar pen with screw cap. I made over 30 pens in the last month and gave away over half of them as gifts. However, I find that as I turn different pens that I find little mistakes along the way that I make that are specific to each kit. I take notes on every pen that I make but I find myself forgetting some small lesson that I learned the last time I made that pen. So here is my question. For those who turn multiple types of pens, do you make 5 sierras in a row, then 5 Jr Gents, and then 5 comfort, OR do you switch things around and turn different styles all the time.
...BTW, this forum is a great help. I have learned so much from just reading and looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I cut, drill and square bunches of the same kit at the same time. But then turn different ones. I alternate the kits I make so that I don't get bored, tired or just begin to dislike the process. For me this works better. When I make the same kit many times in a row then I tend to get spaced out and make mistakes.

Randy_

I don't make a lot of pens; but think I would get bored if I made a bunch of one type at one time. Why don't you get a loose leaf notebook and set up a page or two for each type of pen you make. Then you could make note of any special requirements for a particular kit. You could also keep the instruction sheet for that kit as provided by the manufacturer.

Dario

What type of mistakes are you talking about?

I turn whatever hits my fancy and except for a Sierra bushing problem (long ago) and different bushings for Euro/Mont Blanc (varies depending on kit source) I never had any problems.

JimB

I usually do 2 or 3 of the same kit but occassionally only do 1. That way I can get a small production line time savings but at the same time not get bored making a lot of the same thing. When I do a new kit for the first time I only do 1, that way if I mess something up I will only do it to one kit.

For example, the inner bushing on a screw top pen is not at the edge that touches the middle cap. If you fade the wood up from the bushing before you part the 1/8th in. for the compressed middle cap, you get wood that is drastically proud of the cap once it is pressed on. I understand what I did wrong but I have understood it twice now after the pen was assembled.

As I said, I have a 3 ring binder that I keep detailed notes in HOWEVER, it is a great idea to divide those pages up by pen type, not by chronology. I am hesitant to read 10 pages of mixed notes before I make a pen however, one page with only one pen type is a great idea.

beck3906

When I get into p[roduction mode for fall shows, I'll make as many as I can in one evening. Just makes more sense to keep focused on that style.

Top Bottom